Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Oh, but you know what's hilarious, and maybe telling:

They never once asked me about taking the bar, or practicing law. :lol:

Not even the lawyer.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

That's good. Yeah, salary was premature.  You didn't have on hand questions like what type of individuals fit in well here, what's the company culture like?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 28, 2012, 03:37:19 PM
Oh, but you know what's hilarious, and maybe telling:

They never once asked me about taking the bar, or practicing law. :lol:

Not even the lawyer.

Telling indeed.

Kid, I've met a lot of lawyers in my time, and the ones that were glad they were practicing law were in the distinct minority.*

*And yes, that included the ones that were still in substance abuse programs.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2012, 03:39:24 PM
That's good. Yeah, salary was premature.  You didn't have on hand questions like what type of individuals fit in well here, what's the company culture like?

I'm not very experienced at this.

If it's any better, I actually phrased it as a question about grading/pay banding, saying I wasn't sure what the huge salary range meant.  U.S. government jobs are usually ultra upfront about pay and grade, and where you begin in grade seems to be a big deal.

It's not a company, though.  The culture is caring about the working human.  That was all pretty clear.  But yeah I should've come up with some questions that didn't suck.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on February 28, 2012, 03:45:32 PM

Aka should have used campus recruiting for mock interviews? :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2012, 03:48:40 PM

Aka should have used campus recruiting for mock interviews? :P

Now, now.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2012, 03:39:24 PM

If it's any better, I actually phrased it as a question about grading/pay banding, saying I wasn't sure what the huge salary range meant.  U.S. government jobs are usually ultra upfront about pay and grade, and where you begin in grade seems to be a big deal.

It's not a company, though.  The culture is caring about the working human.  That was all pretty clear.  But yeah I should've come up with some questions that didn't suck.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking about salary.  It's uncomfortable, but it has to be done, and they understand why.

Just make sure it isn't your only question.

Money - I'm glad to be practicing law.   :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

I also asked if "pre-need" (lol) funeral contracts were common.  It's something they regulate, and it interested me.  I thought most people handled that either through life insurance or indigent body disposal.  (I've opted for the latter plan.)

Apparently they have an ex-mortician who handles all that (it's a small department).  I called that some job-relevant experience.  Also, spooky. :P
Kinemalogue

Monoriu

I don't know about Korea, but in HK at least, every school has at least one foreign English teacher.  If even half the schools in Japan, Taiwan and S.Korea, and 5% of the schools in China has this requirement, the number of job openings is very high.  If you want it, I am sure you can find another job easily. 

katmai

Why the fuck would you want to go over to asia, silly Ide.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

It's not a company, though.  The culture is caring about the working human. 
Companies care about "the working human", if by working humans you mean (some of) the humans working for them. :bowler:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

He wants to be an Uncle Remus figure too.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

I've finally escaped from minimum security lock down, otherwise known as Chungnam English Teacher Orientation! :w00t:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point