Reading A History Of Your Own Country Written By A Foreigner.

Started by mongers, January 31, 2012, 04:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on January 31, 2012, 05:21:00 PM
Is anyone outside your "county" a foreigner? :hmm:

:D

Just noticed the typo, and no outside my county no, outside 'Wessex' probably.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

ulmont

Quote from: Maximus on February 01, 2012, 12:10:34 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2012, 08:22:13 AM
there is a vast difference: you are not giving the state the power to kill people.
The state has the power to kill people. That's the definition of a state.

That's kind of an oversimplification on the monopoly on the legitimate use of force inside its borders.

Maximus

grumbler

Quote from: Monoriu on February 01, 2012, 04:38:11 AM
For subjects like the Chinese theatre in WWII, I very much prefer to read material written by foreigners.  They are usually much more objective and neutral than Chinese ones.  The Chinese books tend to (a) overstate the accomplishments of Chinese forces and (b) take obvious sides between the nationalists and communists, and blame each other. 

Have you seen the PBS video The Tank Man? http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/tankman/

About 10% of my sophomore World History class each year is from the PRC, and, year after year, they are absolutely blown away by it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on February 12, 2012, 06:35:31 PM
I don't think foreigners are that interested in US.

That must explain how few of them are here.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: grumbler on February 11, 2012, 10:22:29 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 01, 2012, 04:38:11 AM
For subjects like the Chinese theatre in WWII, I very much prefer to read material written by foreigners.  They are usually much more objective and neutral than Chinese ones.  The Chinese books tend to (a) overstate the accomplishments of Chinese forces and (b) take obvious sides between the nationalists and communists, and blame each other. 

Have you seen the PBS video The Tank Man? http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/tankman/

About 10% of my sophomore World History class each year is from the PRC, and, year after year, they are absolutely blown away by it.

Not surprising.
I can't even view that link here. <_<
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

Teaching them early that there's no such thing as happy endings, huh?

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2012, 07:44:32 AM

Teaching students about happy endings is how teachers get in trouble, Seedy.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2012, 07:44:32 AM

Teaching them early that what their government is hiding from them includes interesting stories.  Makes 'em want to look for more.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 13, 2012, 09:22:23 AM

Teaching students about happy endings is how teachers get in trouble, Seedy.

I think teaching students about happy endings is par for the course in Asia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2012, 06:06:05 PM
Didn't de Tocqueville do that already, Mongers?

Ditto.  And freakishly, a lot of what he wrote nearly 200 years ago is still applicable.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall