Reading A History Of Your Own Country Written By A Foreigner.

Started by mongers, January 31, 2012, 04:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

MadImmortalMan

There's a whole cadre of amateur European experts on US history over at Pdox OT. Reading the stuff they write hasn't done much for me.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 31, 2012, 06:33:09 PM
There's a whole cadre of amateur European experts on US history over at Pdox OT. Reading the stuff they write hasn't done much for me.

I JUST SAW A DOCUMENTARY ON CHANNEL 2 ABOUT AMERICAN PRISONS. YOU AMERICANS SHOULD BE ASHAMED. OMG! DEATH PENALTY! BORK BORK BORK
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2012, 06:06:05 PM
Didn't de Tocqueville do that already, Mongers?

Surely a few things have happened worth talking about since the 1830s over here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2012, 09:12:00 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2012, 06:06:05 PM
Didn't de Tocqueville do that already, Mongers?

Surely a few things have happened worth talking about since the 1830s over here.

Not really.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on January 31, 2012, 04:34:28 PM
I have trouble imagining there are a whole lot of Canadian history books written by non-Canadians...

Textbooks, or general history - not so much. But there are lots of things on specific events written by non-Canadians. A lot, for instance, concern the
earlier periods of history. I have also had contact with scholars from this center: http://www.uni-augsburg.de/institute/kanada/
Que le grand cric me croque !

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 31, 2012, 07:27:03 PM

I JUST SAW A DOCUMENTARY ON CHANNEL 2 ABOUT AMERICAN PRISONS. YOU AMERICANS SHOULD BE ASHAMED. OMG! DEATH PENALTY! BORK BORK BORK

I love the anti-death penalty crowd.  "Just give him life imprisonment," they say, because, like, there's some kind of moral difference when someone dies unfree in the state's custody now and when someone dies unfree in the state's custody twenty years from now.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

For subjects like the Chinese theatre in WWII, I very much prefer to read material written by foreigners.  They are usually much more objective and neutral than Chinese ones.  The Chinese books tend to (a) overstate the accomplishments of Chinese forces and (b) take obvious sides between the nationalists and communists, and blame each other. 

Viking

I'm pretty sure Robert Bork is pro death penalty.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Are any of the volumes of the Oxford History of the United States actually written by Brits?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: Monoriu on February 01, 2012, 04:38:11 AM
For subjects like the Chinese theatre in WWII, I very much prefer to read material written by foreigners.  They are usually much more objective and neutral than Chinese ones.  The Chinese books tend to (a) overstate the accomplishments of Chinese forces and (b) take obvious sides between the nationalists and communists, and blame each other.

I went to the Cairo Citadel and went to it's Army Museum. It seems that the Egyptian Army won the battle of Alamein almost single handedly by capturing downed German pilots and nothing and I mean absolutely nothing happened in 1967.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: Ideologue on February 01, 2012, 02:10:50 AM

I love the anti-death penalty crowd.  "Just give him life imprisonment," they say, because, like, there's some kind of moral difference when someone dies unfree in the state's custody now and when someone dies unfree in the state's custody twenty years from now.

there is a vast difference: you are not giving the state the power to kill people.

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on January 31, 2012, 05:21:00 PM
Is anyone outside your "county" a foreigner? :hmm:

I thought this really was going to be a thread asking about histories of our counties. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

There's bond to be a New France book written by an Englishmen, there are of course lots of them by frenchman.

But on Modern Quebec? I doubt it very much.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2012, 08:22:13 AM
there is a vast difference: you are not giving the state the power to kill people.
The state has the power to kill people. That's the definition of a state.