News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How do you price paintings?

Started by syk, January 31, 2012, 11:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syk

When I do commissioned works I usually set the price over the factors time spent, size, how close the customer is to me, can I use the stencils again. This results in a price range between 50 and 200€ per piece. I am looking for something more objective to set a price. Like art galleries apparently have formulas like "width x height x artist factor", with my artist factor likely being <1.
Does anyone have an idea?

The Brain

Research what the market will bear.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

syk

The Brain

The Brain

You always begin at the end. How much will the customer pay? Your costs are irrelevant at the pricing stage (simplified of course, if the customer knows much about your costs he will factor what he knows into what he will want to pay without feeling ripped off).

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

syk

Hrm. How much will the customer pay, that's the question.

Admiral Yi

Go to a gallery and see how much comparable work by unknown artists is going for.

The Brain

syk

Quote from: The Brain on January 31, 2012, 11:20:05 AM
Unknown? :mad:
Good prompt: you can work on my "unknown" and like my facebook page.

The Brain

Serious question: have you thought about a publicity stunt? What's your marketing plan?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

syk

Quote from: The Brain on January 31, 2012, 11:27:25 AM
Serious question: have you thought about a publicity stunt? What's your marketing plan?
I don't have one. It's more of a hobby thing that's developing well. I only started making these paintings about 2.5 years ago. Gave paintings away as birthday presents and such. After not even a year the first people asked if I could paint something for them. So from time to time I do commissions. Last year I had the chance to show 3 pieces publicly in a cafe/gallery in my hometown during the exhibition of a local street art guy. 2 of them sold (for 40 and 100€). For the 3rd piece I set a price that made clear I want to keep it. I had a bunch of stickers with my URL printed for that occasion. That's the only "marketing" I did so far. In August I will have a 4 week exhibition in said café.
As for publicity stunts I could possibly paint something in public. A bigger piece on someone else's wall.

The Brain

Quote from: syk on January 31, 2012, 11:39:23 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 31, 2012, 11:27:25 AM
I don't have one. It's more of a hobby thing that's developing well. I only started making these paintings about 2.5 years ago. Gave paintings away as birthday presents and such. After not even a year the first people asked if I could paint something for them. So from time to time I do commissions. Last year I had the chance to show 3 pieces publicly in a cafe/gallery in my hometown during the exhibition of a local street art guy. 2 of them sold (for 40 and 100€). For the 3rd piece I set a price that made clear I want to keep it. I had a bunch of stickers with my URL printed for that occasion. That's the only "marketing" I did so far. In August I will have a 4 week exhibition in said café.
As for publicity stunts I could possibly paint something in public. A bigger piece on someone else's wall.

Cool.