News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weird use of 'diversity' as a euphemism

Started by Valmy, January 27, 2012, 04:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on January 28, 2012, 12:14:15 PM
Over 40 percent of people don't complete a 4 year degree in even 6 years, indicating achieving a degree is not trivially easy.

I wonder how much that has to do with lack of application (i.e. putting said degree on hold while focusing on a job) than any actual difficulty of getting a diploma.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2012, 10:04:52 AM
Quote from: dps on January 28, 2012, 06:15:02 AM
I don't think that you understand how university admissions work in the US.  A lot of American colleges and universities have open admissions--basically, if you have a high school diploma or a GED, you can get in.  Now that doesn't hold true with the more elite schools, but your typical state school, yeah.

Maybe the schools that are causing a university college to be useless. If there isn't some toil to get into college (even if that toil is just getting good grades at a junior college and then transferring to a UC), what's the point?

I was neither defending or attacking the concept of open admisssions, merely pointing out its existance.

Quote from: garbon
Quote from: ulmontOver 40 percent of people don't complete a 4 year degree in even 6 years, indicating achieving a degree is not trivially easy.

I wonder how much that has to do with lack of application (i.e. putting said degree on hold while focusing on a job) than any actual difficulty of getting a diploma.

I don't have any stats on the issue, but FWIW, anecdotally I know more people who dropped out because they either got a job offer as good as they could expect to have gotten with a degree, or who simply needed a full-time income and couldn't afford to stay in school than people who flunked out.

Josquius

Yeah, getting a degree is pretty darn easy.
Getting one with good grades is a bit more challenging but just getting something...anyone can do it.

I don't think that you understand how university admissions work in the US.  A lot of American colleges and universities have open admissions--basically, if you have a high school diploma or a GED, you can get in.  Now that doesn't hold true with the more elite schools, but your typical state school, yeah.[/-/quote]

ey? You don't have admissions like in other countries? You just let anyone in?
I'm sure I've seen in stuff set in American high schools people worrying about getting into X or Y university and having to apply.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2012, 10:42:18 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 27, 2012, 06:06:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2012, 04:29:44 PM
Asians are aparently not people of color. 

Well, milky-light-yellow is not much of a color, to be honest. Try painting your walls with that - it comes off almost as white.

Um...Indians and Pakistanis?  We have at least as many of them as East Asians here in Texas.
But it's the white Asians that are overrepresented in college while the black Asians aren't. :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Whatchu talkin bout, Tim. There's tons of Indians in college.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I'm glad that we can bring black and white as differences within each "race".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

I never went to college.
I feel inadecuate here in Languish.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

I wouldn't worry about the resident intellectuals. "Inte" in Swedish means "not".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on January 29, 2012, 04:47:17 PM
I wouldn't worry about the resident intellectuals. "Inte" in Swedish means "not".

What wisdom is there to be found in Sweden?

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2012, 04:50:24 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 29, 2012, 04:47:17 PM

What wisdom is there to be found in Sweden?

Viking.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM