News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Freightliner vs Kenworth: where to get info?

Started by viper37, January 27, 2012, 02:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Anyone knows where I could get some kind of review/comparison of both truck brands, for the medium class models (M2 106 and T370) ?

With the new rules in Quebec, we're now overweight with our Silverados 2500HD and 3500HD, so I need to buy some other truck, and new trailers as well to avoir weight and inspection problems.  It's a tough choice, and it's not something I do with a happy heart, but since I need to tow 30 000lbs, I ain't got not choice.

Both trucks seem to be equivalent in their capacity, both are 6 wheel drive, they have the same transmission (Allison 3000), they seem to have the same engine (Cummins ISC, 8.3L).

The differences seem to be in everything else... and I'm at a lost.  Do any of you guys know of a specialized forum in this kind of trucks?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

All I can tell you is that, from the companies I've worked for and with, from private industry to the medical profession, Freightliner totally rocks.

I know a guy that bought a Freightliner with an extended cab for hauling a huge trailer for his job, and the thing is absolutely gorgeous inside.
http://www.freightlinertrucks.com/Trucks/Medium-Duty-Trucks/Recreational

sbr

I spent a summer working on the Freightliner assembly line, so I think you should go that way.  Just don't buy one built in '89.

EDIT: Or '88.  That's when my idiot friend that got me the job was there too.

CountDeMoney

LOL '88 and '89 models subject to QA/QC issues.  Got that, Viper?

sbr

Actually on second thought, it should be Ok.  I spent most of the time installing the brakes on the axle line; most of those should be off the road by now.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 29, 2012, 12:37:54 PM
LOL '88 and '89 models subject to QA/QC issues.  Got that, Viper?
Yeah, I'll probably be going for the 2013 model, anyway (they are early in their model years, to be sure).
I'd prefer to buy this truck new, have one to the most recent EPA norms, since they'll probably come in effect here too, some time.

My father would prefer some 500 000km old truck, wich is gonna cost me an arm and a leg in maintenance every year.
Will need to decide this week what we're doing. 

I found that Peterbilt is also doing trucks in that size.  Will have their price on Monday.  So far, there's 450$ difference between Kenworth and Freightliner, and I'm leaning toward the last one, like you guys.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.