News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Parties: Shoes or no shoes?

Started by Martinus, January 22, 2012, 06:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

There's a lot of good wingtips that can be had at $120. But a lot of lawtalkers I know invest in nice shoes like A-Es. A lot of them spend a lot of hours pounding it in places with granite/marble floors that are hell on shoes. A nice pair that can be resoled periodically is actually an economical move.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 22, 2012, 03:03:26 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 22, 2012, 09:52:44 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 22, 2012, 09:51:33 AM
Was also referring to scratching and shedding.

Like I said, I know the proper care and maintenance of cat herding.
She's declawed, and I groom her daily.

Fascinating.  "You're a pretty girl.  PRETTY. GIRL."

You realize they're auto-cleaning, right?

And that's why people like you send cats to the pound to be put to sleep because of fur balls.  I DONT KNOW WHY HE THROWS UP EVERYWHERE HES BROKEN

Ideologue

Oh, yeah, that's people like me, all right.

I'm moving into someone's fucking attic so that my cats won't die or get separated.

I think you mean "people like Korea": "No we can't take the cats even temporarily, even though it's my actions that brought the cats into the house originally, because [I resent you and wish you, and that which you care about, to suffer]."

I mean, it's not verbatim, but that's how I interpreted it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

My pair of shoes cost about 8 bucks.  They were a gift from my sister when she worked at a shoe store.  They are pretty beat up now though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Larch

If I asked guests to remove their shoes when they come over my place I'd get the weirdest stares ever.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 22, 2012, 03:34:39 PM
Oh, yeah, that's people like me, all right.

I'm moving into someone's fucking attic so that my cats won't die or get separated.

I think you mean "people like Korea": "No we can't take the cats even temporarily, even though it's my actions that brought the cats into the house originally, because [I resent you and wish you, and that which you care about, to suffer]."

I mean, it's not verbatim, but that's how I interpreted it.

At least you kept the right ones.

Iormlund

Quote from: The Larch on January 22, 2012, 04:25:50 PM
If I asked guests to remove their shoes when they come over my place I'd get the weirdest stares ever.

Yeah I guess this is one of those cultural divides.

Ideologue

I assume that Poland is largely unpaved.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 22, 2012, 01:07:51 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 22, 2012, 10:49:58 AM
In our family we all take shoes off at the door unless we're going right back outside. But if I'm having guests over I wouldn't ask them to take their shoes off, and truth be told I'd prefer they keep them on. When I'm hosting a party, me and my wife will also both have shoes on.

Maybe it's just my parents being formal/fastidious, but there is a certain, I dunno "informality" to walking around with your shoes off. I'll do it when it's just me and my family or close friends even because it avoids tracking stuff through the house, but at a large hosted party I'd feel way out of place to be walking around with socks or barefoot and would prefer my guests be wearing shoes as well.

Otto's got a point.  Close friends and family is one thing;  you going to tell your VP from work at your holiday open house to take off his shoes?

Yeah, at a formal affair, or a party that's not formal but happens to be large, I'd find it a bit strange if people were taking off their shoes.  But at a small, casual gathering, taking off your shoes would be the norm.

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 22, 2012, 10:09:27 AM
I hate it when guests clog my toilets. USE THE PLUNGER ASSHOLES.

Stop inviting people to your house if they're full of shit.

DGuller

Among Russians, it's almost a universal rule that you take off your shoes when you enter someone's house, unless the host specifically tells you not to.  That said, in my family, we usually let our guests keep their shoes.

Pedrito

Quote from: The Larch on January 22, 2012, 04:25:50 PM
Ditto.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on January 23, 2012, 01:46:17 AM
Among Russians, it's almost a universal rule that you take off your shoes when you enter someone's house, unless the host specifically tells you not to.  That said, in my family, we usually let our guests keep their shoes.

You did that even after Chernobyl?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.