News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Parties: Shoes or no shoes?

Started by Martinus, January 22, 2012, 06:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 22, 2012, 09:51:33 AM
Was also referring to scratching and shedding.

Like I said, I know the proper care and maintenance of cat herding.
She's declawed, and I groom her daily.

Ed Anger

I don't want to see people's feet. yuk. Besides, I can isolate guests from the bedrooms, offices, the basement and  Angertorium. 5 minutes with a swiffer and everything is off the hardwoods.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

It depends, if it's the same shoes that you wore outside? Take them off. Feel free to put a clean pair on.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 22, 2012, 09:53:17 AM
I don't want to see people's feet. yuk. Besides, I can isolate guests from the bedrooms, offices, the basement and  Angertorium. 5 minutes with a swiffer and everything is off the hardwoods.
I don't take off my socks. 

I hate feet, not a day goes by when I don't wish for hooves, so there's never any risk of me exposing my feet unless necessary.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

I hate it when guests clog my toilets. USE THE PLUNGER ASSHOLES.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2012, 10:03:11 AM

I hate feet, not a day goes by when I don't wish for hooves, so there's never any risk of me exposing my feet unless necessary.

*takes Sheilbh off the List(tm)*  <_<

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 22, 2012, 10:10:07 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2012, 10:03:11 AM

*takes Sheilbh off the List(tm)*  <_<
If people had hooves Marty would have died of Hoof and Mouth disease years ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

In our family we all take shoes off at the door unless we're going right back outside. But if I'm having guests over I wouldn't ask them to take their shoes off, and truth be told I'd prefer they keep them on. When I'm hosting a party, me and my wife will also both have shoes on.

Maybe it's just my parents being formal/fastidious, but there is a certain, I dunno "informality" to walking around with your shoes off. I'll do it when it's just me and my family or close friends even because it avoids tracking stuff through the house, but at a large hosted party I'd feel way out of place to be walking around with socks or barefoot and would prefer my guests be wearing shoes as well.

The Brain

Normally take shoes off in people's homes. But if the party/dinner is at least a bit posh you keep your shoes on (if it's dry and warm outside) or you bring nice shoes and change into them from your muddy winter boots or similar.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 22, 2012, 10:49:58 AM
In our family we all take shoes off at the door unless we're going right back outside. But if I'm having guests over I wouldn't ask them to take their shoes off, and truth be told I'd prefer they keep them on. When I'm hosting a party, me and my wife will also both have shoes on.

Maybe it's just my parents being formal/fastidious, but there is a certain, I dunno "informality" to walking around with your shoes off. I'll do it when it's just me and my family or close friends even because it avoids tracking stuff through the house, but at a large hosted party I'd feel way out of place to be walking around with socks or barefoot and would prefer my guests be wearing shoes as well.

Otto's got a point.  Close friends and family is one thing;  you going to tell your VP from work at your holiday open house to take off his shoes?

Sheilbh

As a host I wouldn't say anything.  I'd silently judge people who didn't follow my cue.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 22, 2012, 09:52:44 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 22, 2012, 09:51:33 AM
Was also referring to scratching and shedding.

Like I said, I know the proper care and maintenance of cat herding.
She's declawed, and I groom her daily.

Fascinating.  "You're a pretty girl.  PRETTY. GIRL."

You realize they're auto-cleaning, right?

Anyway, we do all understand that this question is about Martinus wanting to show off his $500 shoes at party, and being conspicuous consumption-blocked?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

OttoVonBismarck

Nothing wrong with $500 shoes. I have a pair of Allen Edmonds I bought for $500 years ago, and this pair I bought over Christmas.

Thing is, Allen Edmonds aren't just any other shoe you buy for a year. They are extremely well made and can be professionally resoled for a very reasonable price. Many people will keep a pair of Allen Edmonds for 20+ years.

OttoVonBismarck

Plus you're going to be a lawyer soon (or already are?) right? Need to get your head around nicer clothes.

Ideologue

I've got a pair of wingtips, I think they were about $120.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)