News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

National Energy Policy ?

Started by mongers, January 20, 2012, 04:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Does your country have a national energy policy ?

If so what is it, if not should it have one ?

Looking into consumption of energy, and ignoring the usual shrill stuff about 'peak oil' on the web, there certainly some oddities out there, in amongst the more sensible stuff, like why does Germany have 43.5% of total world solar power installation, wouldn't it be more efficient if most of that were somewhere else, perhaps somewhere sunnier ??
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Yes, we do.
It was conceived, written and executed by Haliburton, HAL on the Dow Jones , currently trading at $36.20 at today's close.

mongers

Right, also know as the 'Thelma & Louise' policy.

Neil

We had a National Energy Program, and it resulted in a fracture in the political landscape of Canada.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Scipio

[Jim Mora]Policy?  POLICY???[/Jim Mora]
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

derspiess

Do we need one?  If so, what should it be?  And would NEP be dictated by the Central Committee?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 20, 2012, 05:52:18 PM
Do we need one?  If so, what should it be?  And would NEP be dictated by the Central Committee?

Well we have one.  It is just half-hazard and not aimed at achieving any goal really.  Alot of our incentives are contradictory.  I would rather we scrap it and let it run organically or scrap it and put together a more efficient policy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Scipio

I vote for a whole-hazard policy.  ALL RISK, ALL THE TIME!

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2012, 05:53:53 PM

Well we have one.  It is just half-hazard and not aimed at achieving any goal really. 

It has a goal.  It's goal is increasing shareholder value.

mongers

Some stats for the mix, all figures 2010 :

US proven Oil reserves -  3700 million tonnes

R/P ration (res/production) - 11.3 years

US annual Oil production - 339.1 million tonnes

US annual Oil consumption - 850.0 million tonnes

Notional Oil imports - 510.9 million tonnes ( or 11.7 million barrels per day)

US Proven Gas reserves - 7.7 trillion cubic metres.

R/P ration (res/production) - 12.6 years

US annual Gas production - 556.8 million tonnes oil equiv.

US annual Gas consumption -  621.0 million tonnes oil equiv.

Nuclear - consumption - 192.2 million tonnes oil equiv.

(up around 5% over 2001)

Hydroelectricity - consumption  - 58.8 million tonnes oil equiv.

(in decline from mid 70s and mid/late 90s peaks of around 75 and 80 mill resp)

Other renewable - - consumption - 39.1 million tonnes oil equiv.

Biofuels production -  25. 351 million tonnes oil equiv.

US leads the world in geothermal energy production - 50% greater than the Philippines.

US has 6.3 % of total world installed solar PV capacity, ahead of Czech republic but behind Italy.

US has 20.2% of total world wind generation capacity, though Germany and Spain combined beat this by around 3-4%.

Edit:
forgot King Coal:

US proven Coal reserves - 23,7295 million tonnes

R/P ration (res/production) - 241 years !

US annual Coal production - 552.2 million tonnes oil equiv.
(broadly unchanged since late 80s)

US annual Coal consumption - 524.6 million tonnes oil equiv.
(slightly down from late 90s highs)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on January 20, 2012, 04:47:13 PM

If the question is does my country have policies on energy, the answer is duh, of course.

If the question is does my country publish a document entitled "US National Energy Policy," the answer is: who cares?

If the question is not a question but rather a preamble to your discourse on faulty energy policies, the response is that's not a very effective intro.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2012, 06:41:26 PM

If the question is does my country have policies on energy, the answer is duh, of course.

If the question is does my country publish a document entitled "US National Energy Policy," the answer is: who cares?

If the question is not a question but rather a preamble to your discourse on faulty energy policies, the response is that's not a very effective intro.

So you're advocating sustained efforts to increase US agricultural waste biomass production.

CountDeMoney

Careful, Mongers!  He's armed with Exxon stock!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on January 20, 2012, 06:45:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2012, 06:41:26 PM

So you're advocating sustained efforts to increase US agricultural waste biomass production.

Why do you think Plato wrote the Bible? :unsure:

Ideologue

Heh.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)