News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama to block Keystone oil pipeline

Started by Kleves, January 18, 2012, 02:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on January 18, 2012, 02:26:17 PM
But trying to reduce oil consumption by attacking potential sources of oil seems to me to be the most asinine way of fighting global warming I can think of. 

Huh? It's actually the most logical way. It makes fossil fuels more expensive are so alternatives become capable to compete earlier and less carbon is actually released to the atmosphere.

PDH

US needs to go nuclear anyway. That way Wyoming miners get more jobs.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Quote from: Iormlund on January 19, 2012, 02:12:01 PM
But trying to reduce oil consumption by attacking potential sources of oil seems to me to be the most asinine way of fighting global warming I can think of. 

Huh? It's actually the most logical way. It makes fossil fuels more expensive are so alternatives become capable to compete earlier and less carbon is actually released to the atmosphere.

That's assuming some omnipotent power can prevent new drilling/surveying all over the globe.  Absent that, high oil prices are going to spur more exploration and encourage improvements in drilling technology.  Of course that will also encourage research for alternatives, but if you're looking for a return on investment that you'll realize in your lifetime, which do you think is the safest bet?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 19, 2012, 02:26:40 PM
That's assuming some omnipotent power can prevent new drilling/surveying all over the globe.  Absent that, high oil prices are going to spur more exploration and encourage improvements in drilling technology.  Of course that will also encourage research for alternatives, but if you're looking for a return on investment that you'll realize in your lifetime, which do you think is the safest bet?

I don't know.  Hybrid technology has done pretty well.  After all when we are talking about "alternatives" to gasoline these days what we are really talking about are electric engines and it is not like that is a distant pipe dream.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

It's not as if people don't want to use alternative fuels.  They don't because they just don't exist or are prohibitively expensive.  All moves like this do are drive up the cost to consumers in a rather haphazard manner, and spur on new exploration and development in places not under your control.

If government wants to increase taxes through a carbon tax or something else, that's one thing.  But to try and shut down oil production as a means of saving the planet it's ludicrous.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

But it's one sided. you raise the costs of getting canadian crude, but there's still other crude out there. So really by doing this you hurt NA and enrich crackpots and dictators (often one and the same)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: PDH on January 19, 2012, 02:20:21 PM

Child labor is illegal.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 02:31:56 PM
I don't know.  Hybrid technology has done pretty well.  After all when we are talking about "alternatives" to gasoline these days what we are really talking about are electric engines and it is not like that is a distant pipe dream.

He was talking about alternatives to fossil fuels.  Hybrid & fully electric cars are great and all, but they still ultimately rely on fossil fuels for their power.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 20, 2012, 10:56:54 AM
He was talking about alternatives to fossil fuels.  Hybrid & fully electric cars are great and all, but they still ultimately rely on fossil fuels for their power.

Any sane person, who doesn't embrace stupid things like biofuels, knows that the most promising avenue for alternatives are in electricity generation not fuels.  And oil is very rarely used for that (like less than 1% of all power generation) so I fail to see how blocking pipelines is going to help in that.  They need to block coal and natural gas for that.  Environmentalist fail?  Not that Environmentalists are really great allies for alternative fuel backers.  They tend to just not like the idea of having fuel or electricity in general  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2012, 03:48:40 PM
Quote from: PDH on January 19, 2012, 02:20:21 PM

Child labor is illegal.

It's the principal of the thing though!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2012, 11:00:59 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 20, 2012, 10:56:54 AM
Any sane person, who doesn't embrace stupid things like biofuels, knows that the most promising avenue for alternatives are in electricity generation not fuels.  And oil is very rarely used for that (like less than 1% of all power generation) so I fail to see how blocking pipelines is going to help in that.  They need to block coal and natural gas for that.  Environmentalist fail?  Not that Environmentalists are really great allies for alternative fuel backers.  They tend to just not like the idea of having fuel or electricity in general  :P
Your TV is full of ads for clean coal.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on January 19, 2012, 11:24:33 AM
The US needs the oil, and it's obviously a much better idea to get it from Canada than from Venezuela or the Mid East.

No, it's not.

QuoteI don't understand the opposition to an additional pipeline. We can't make the entire US an enviro haven. Canada will produce the oil regardless of what we do, and just sell it elsewhere. I'm sure part of this is the angst felt by enviros and others who have some idea that we need to wean ourselves off of oil and this is somehow helpful in that cause. But it will likely do nothing of the sort while we have to continue imports from less stable/friendly nations.

These are fungible commodities traded on the world market on a single currency, so it helps nothing with price stabilization;  every barrel that we put on the market is one barrel the Mideast rolls back from production, extending their strategic reserves while shrinking ours. It's stupid.

The sooner we suck the Middle East dry, the sooner they become as relevant as subsaharan Africa.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 20, 2012, 02:23:16 PM
Quote from: KRonn on January 19, 2012, 11:24:33 AM
The US needs the oil, and it's obviously a much better idea to get it from Canada than from Venezuela or the Mid East.

No, it's not.

QuoteI don't understand the opposition to an additional pipeline. We can't make the entire US an enviro haven. Canada will produce the oil regardless of what we do, and just sell it elsewhere. I'm sure part of this is the angst felt by enviros and others who have some idea that we need to wean ourselves off of oil and this is somehow helpful in that cause. But it will likely do nothing of the sort while we have to continue imports from less stable/friendly nations.

These are fungible commodities traded on the world market on a single currency, so it helps nothing with price stabilization;  every barrel that we put on the market is one barrel the Mideast rolls back from production, extending their strategic reserves while shrinking ours. It's stupid.

The sooner we suck the Middle East dry, the sooner they become as relevant as subsaharan Africa.

This will take a very,very long time.  Saudi Arabia, Iran. Iraq and others I've forgotten in the Gulf all have reserves that will far out last all other reserves* at the current rates of production.   :hmm:

* There maybe a handful of other countries that have more sustainable extraction programs.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess