Prosecutors aim new weapon at Occupy activists: lynching allegation

Started by jimmy olsen, January 17, 2012, 11:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

You're approaching it, I suppose, from the standpoint that protests are intrinsically evil.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 18, 2012, 12:40:14 AM
You're approaching it, I suppose, from the standpoint that protests are intrinsically evil.

I'm approaching it from the standpoint that college students with their lives ahead of them aren't going to want to risk getting felony records. I don't see why one has to be anti-protest if one dislikes protestors trying to prevent cops from arresting people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 18, 2012, 12:41:42 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 18, 2012, 12:40:14 AM

I'm approaching it from the standpoint that college students with their lives ahead of them aren't going to want to risk getting felony records. I don't see why one has to be anti-protest if one dislikes protestors trying to prevent cops from arresting people.

The police have already show a broad interpretation of "resistance".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 18, 2012, 01:11:55 AM
Yes, all cops are the same.

Well they do all dress the same...  But when you make a law (or chose to enforce it creatively), you should take into consideration the worst in people, not the best.  After all, laws are not meant to restrict the just.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2012, 02:56:52 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 18, 2012, 01:11:55 AM
Yes, all cops are the same.

Well they do all dress the same...  But when you make a law (or chose to enforce it creatively), you should take into consideration the worst in people, not the best.  After all, laws are not meant to restrict the just.

Seems like we'd have few laws then - seeing as how most could potentially be abused.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 18, 2012, 12:37:43 AM
I think it could be. Raise the deterrent and scare some kids off.

Huh?  What do kids have to do with this?  This was a 30-year-old school teacher.  I am pretty sure people are already cautious about assualting police officers...not that the story even says exactly what the guy did.

Surely you are not advocating enforcing laws in such a way to scare people, kids or no, from peaceably assembling since that is a basic Constitutional right.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 18, 2012, 08:49:54 AM
Seems like we'd have few laws then - seeing as how most could potentially be abused.

Um the reason we have many laws is because of the ones that are abused.  The basic ideology of this country is good laws are preferred over relying on the goodness of humans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 18, 2012, 08:49:54 AM

Opposite actually.

Barrister

I love it when people do stupid stuff knowing it is against the law, but not knowing how serious the crime is.  I love laying charges of robbery and/or extortion when the accused thinks he only committed a minor theft.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on January 17, 2012, 11:22:02 PM
Or "[object]--in some fashion." -_-

Which you may do by accident, or more precisely instinct and without reflection; or simply be accused thereof.  At which point--assuming, for the sake of this argument, that a application of the lynching statute is correct and a conviction shall arise--you might as well engage in desperate street fighting with the cops, since your life is functionally over.

Look at the bright side; it will mean that the term "lynching" will lose its strong emotive context, and those KKK types who engaged in early 20C lynching will be rehabilitated from hate-criminals into mere protestors.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on January 18, 2012, 10:17:45 AM
I love it when people do stupid stuff knowing it is against the law, but not knowing how serious the crime is.  I love laying charges of robbery and/or extortion when the accused thinks he only committed a minor theft.   :cool: 

I love it when government hacks admit that they love it when their faceless unthinking bureaucracy exerts itself to inflict unjust punishments on the people it nominally serves.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on January 18, 2012, 10:43:12 AM
Look at the bright side; it will mean that the term "lynching" will lose its strong emotive context, and those KKK types who engaged in early 20C lynching will be rehabilitated from hate-criminals into mere protestors.

This is not the first state to abuse lynching legislation.  The ability it gives prosecutors to convict people merely for being present as part of the mob is too powerful to not to be tempting.

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on January 18, 2012, 11:37:00 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 18, 2012, 10:17:45 AM
I love it when government hacks admit that they love it when their faceless unthinking bureaucracy exerts itself to inflict unjust punishments on the people it nominally serves.  :cool:
I love it when faggots think that punishing criminals properly is 'unjust'. :mad:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.