What would the anti-Languish Forum look like?

Started by derspiess, January 17, 2012, 05:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Disclaimer: if we've done this before I missed it-- please point me to the relevant thread.
Mention on another thread of doing an invasion made me wonder what a Bizarro Languish would look like, in terms of the demographics of its forum members and the forum's collective personality? 

Here are a few ideas off the top of my head:

*Predominately non-white, mostly from third world countries

*Disproportionate numbers of: Doctors, Muslims, Lesbians

*Quite a few female posters, who are attracted to the forum by the warm treatment of newcomers and stay for the woman-friendly topics & decorum

*General disregard for history, though alternative history maps are pretty popular

*Nearly every topic will eventually veer towards a discussion or argument about the Angolan Civil War

*Arguments last about two pages, then end with amicable agreements to disagree

*LFSTL (Languish Fantasy Sepak Takraw League)

*When people quit the forum they never come back
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on January 17, 2012, 05:51:53 PM
Disclaimer: if we've done this before I missed it-- please point me to the relevant thread.
Mention on another thread of doing an invasion made me wonder what a Bizarro Languish would look like, in terms of the demographics of its forum members and the forum's collective personality? 

Here are a few ideas off the top of my head:

*Predominately non-white, mostly from third world countries

*Disproportionate numbers of: Doctors, Muslims, Lesbians

*Quite a few female posters, who are attracted to the forum by the warm treatment of newcomers and stay for the woman-friendly topics & decorum

*General disregard for history, though alternative history maps are pretty popular

*Nearly every topic will eventually veer towards a discussion or argument about the Angolan Civil War

*Arguments last about two pages, then end with amicable agreements to disagree

*LFSTL (Languish Fantasy Sepak Takraw League)

*When people quit the forum they never come back

So pretty much like many aspects of real life in the rest of the world.   ;)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

In that forum, the gay Polish lawyer would have an extensive knowledge of wine, economics, and law.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on January 17, 2012, 05:57:03 PM
In that forum, the gay Polish lawyer would have an extensive knowledge of wine, economics, and law.

And more of the posters would get the commendably humour of the exiled Ukrainian actuarial.   :)

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on January 17, 2012, 05:57:03 PM

That's because their version would be straight and German.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

What is the opposite of the Angolan Civil War?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on January 17, 2012, 06:48:01 PM
What is the opposite of the Angolan Civil War?

Continued Portuguese colonial rule, so presumably a master diplomat had a quiet word or two in the ears of the Russian, American, South African and Cuban ambassadors.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Siege

No flame wars, no straw man arguments, all discussions backed with facts.

Very boring.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

That one commie board we invaded and they hacked us in retaliation was pretty anti-Languish.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Grallaeon would be a happy, well adjusted Parisian. 
Martina would be a non-Russian social conservative.
Siege would be a Jewish Londonite who is a member of various social 'progressive' organizations, such as the Red Army Faction.
Cdm wouldn't really exist at all and Neil would be a pansy ass non-troll
PDH!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

No. Some things are universal constants.  A happy Idesy is like say that -2 x -2 = -4
PDH!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)