News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Scorpio's Choice

Started by Kleves, January 16, 2012, 11:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your least favorite country: Italy or France?

Italy
15 (45.5%)
France
18 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Martinus

I'm surprised people here seem to believe Italians are worse than the French. Sure, Italians may be chaotic blowhards and they have worse government, but for example in terms of corporate culture, there is little in the Western world that is worse than the French one.

Compared to their biggest competitors - Germans, the Brits and Americans - I find them to be most grating. Germans are exacting, precise, meritocratic and well-organized. Brits are rather easy going, self-depreciating and have a (post-imperial, I assume) knack for extracting local talent. Americans are informal and goal oriented. The French, on the other hand, are often quite cliqueish, disorganized, and nepotistic. They can't get over the fact that the world speaks English, not French (compared to Germans who happily communicate in English) and seem to me to be most likely to sacrifice corporation's interests at the altar of internal power-plays between various "directeurs". Most local subsidiaries of German, English or American internationals are managed by locals - not so in French corporations - you usually have a French guy at the head who is incompetent, but has a "de" in his name.

It's actually quite surprising that the society that grew out of egality, liberty and fraternity managed to be more class-based, cliqueish and "old boy network" than the Brits.

Zoupa

I would like to point out that Martinus' description is entirely accurate and spot on (as always).

:)

Ideologue

I see what you did there.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Zoupa on January 17, 2012, 03:50:20 AM
I would like to point out that Martinus' description is entirely accurate and spot on (as always).

Have you ever worked for a French corporation?

Threviel

Definitely the frogs, smug commie bastards.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on January 17, 2012, 03:27:20 AM
It's actually quite surprising that the society that grew out of egality, liberty and fraternity managed to be more class-based, cliqueish and "old boy network" than the Brits.

At least the French decapitated their royals, and didn't start making commemorative plates about them.  So they get a pass.

Caliga

I've been to Italy, but not France, so I had to vote for France.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Kleves

Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2012, 11:37:10 PM
Wrong side in World War II? Yeah.
On the other hand, can you imagine the damage the Italians would have done to the Allied cause if they had joined the Allies?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Valmy

The obvious answer is Belgium.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Zoupa on January 17, 2012, 03:50:20 AM

This time he's right.

I worked for 2 french corp. Crazy useless bastards the lot of them.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.