Wine recommendations sought - barolo and barolo-like

Started by Martinus, January 16, 2012, 05:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I grew fond of barolo lately. The problem is that it is rather expensive in Poland - the cheapest bottle being around 40 euro. Which is fine for an evening with friends, but possibly not for your daily drink with a dinner.

Since we have some wine connoisseurs here, what would be a good cheaper substitute that has a bouquet similar to barolo.

Zanza

Can't you order it via internet and get it cheaper?

Capetan Mihali

Wait a second.... is Martinus asking for advice on the consumption of expensive luxury goods?  :hmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Scipio

WTF is barolo so goddamn expensive?  Italy is suffering serious economic hardship.  That shit should be flowing like the blood of the kulaks through the streets of Koluszki.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Minsky Moment

Barbaresco
Or Nebbiolo d'alba

Both same region, same grape

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

citizen k

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 16, 2012, 05:27:08 PM
Wait a second.... is Martinus asking for advice on the consumption of expensive luxury goods?  :hmm:

Personally, I'm just amazed he admitted it might be too expensive to develop alcoholism with.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zoupa

Brazen

Forty Euros? At least the UK's avoided a double-dip wine recession - it starts at about a tenner here in supermarkets, and overpriced at that.

For a comparable swigging wine go the Bordeaux or Burgundy route. Or man up and get into vintage Rioja.

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on January 17, 2012, 04:40:14 AM
Forty Euros? At least the UK's avoided a double-dip wine recession - it starts at about a tenner here in supermarkets, and overpriced at that.

For a comparable swigging wine go the Bordeaux or Burgundy route. Or man up and get into vintage Rioja.

Too acidic for my taste.

Martinus

Quote from: Scipio on January 16, 2012, 06:48:24 PM
WTF is barolo so goddamn expensive?  Italy is suffering serious economic hardship.  That shit should be flowing like the blood of the kulaks through the streets of Koluszki.

Prices for luxury goods in Poland still suffer from the "provincial premium" and on top of that zloty has weakened substantially (even to euro) during the sovereign debt crisis, so imported goods are expensive. A bottle of barolo used to cost about 70-80 zloty a few years ago, now it costs 110-120 at the cheapest.

Duque de Bragança

:yes:

Tamas

Real men drink whiskey.
It is:
-sophisticated
-tasty
-strong
-it's variance offers a lot of ground for snobbery and showing off useless knowledge

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on January 17, 2012, 04:55:01 AM

Too acidic for my taste.
If you've had an acidic one, it was a bad choice. Italian wines are typically far more prone to acidity, one of the reasons I'd rather go French most of the time.

Personally my week-day bargain wine is a Languedoc Carbernet of which you can get a decent example for a fiver.

But if you really want to avoid acidity, look into new-world wines, especially a quality Australian.

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on January 17, 2012, 05:42:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 17, 2012, 04:55:01 AM

Too acidic for my taste.
If you've had an acidic one, it was a bad choice. Italian wines are typically far more prone to acidity, one of the reasons I'd rather go French most of the time.

Personally my week-day bargain wine is a Languedoc Carbernet of which you can get a decent example for a fiver.

But if you really want to avoid acidity, look into new-world wines, especially a quality Australian.

I'll give it a try. Although I'm rather skeptical about the French wines. Maybe it's just a Polish thing and we get the biggest shit at high prices, though.