News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones and old english

Started by viper37, January 16, 2012, 11:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on January 23, 2012, 11:14:38 AM
It tends to happen for people not raised in anglo-saxon education system.

Nobody has been raised under this system in over 900 years.  No wonder there is so much ignorance.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

One-and-twenty

The double digits are still done like that in German:

Einundzwanzig.

Though I don't think anyone would consider "breakfast" as "Fastenbrechen" (breaking one's fasting) - it's "Frühstück", i.e. "early/morning piece (of bread)".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Searching on "one-and-twenty" I find poems by Samuel Johnson, Robert Burns and A E Housman that use the expression.

Then there is always the nursery rhyme :

"    Sing a song of sixpence,
    A pocket full of rye.
    Four and twenty blackbirds,
    Baked in a pie.

......."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2012, 11:31:20 AM

Nobody has been raised under this system in over 900 years.  No wonder there is so much ignorance.
yet, I was just reading a piece this morning about "the anglo-saxon world outside of Quebec".  Surely, these people did not mean England 900 years ago?  I can't believe they invented a time machine and I don't know about it! ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

@Syt:

@Richard:
Was this simply poetry (it sounded better that way in the context), or was it reflective of the way ordinary people talked in the 19th century?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on January 23, 2012, 02:05:25 PM
yet, I was just reading a piece this morning about "the anglo-saxon world outside of Quebec".  Surely, these people did not mean England 900 years ago?  I can't believe they invented a time machine and I don't know about it! ;)
Sounds like some ignorant writers.  The Anglo-Saxon world ended with the Conquest (at the latest).  Quebec did not then exist, so there never was an "anglo-saxon world outside of Quebec."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2012, 11:31:20 AM

Another example of Norman vandalism <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on January 23, 2012, 02:10:04 PM
Sounds like some ignorant writers.  The Anglo-Saxon world ended with the Conquest (at the latest).  Quebec did not then exist, so there never was an "anglo-saxon world outside of Quebec."
I don't know if you're serious... but the anglo-saxon world is the usual term used to describe the US, Canada, Great Britain and other predominantly english speaking countries with a capitalist system.  Just as when the French speaks of "anglo-saxon rating agencies", they look at corporations like Standard&Poors or Moody's, not the people who criticized Longshanks' leadership ;)

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on January 23, 2012, 02:17:22 PM
I don't know if you're serious... but the anglo-saxon world is the usual term used to describe the US, Canada, Great Britain and other predominantly english speaking countries with a capitalist system.  Just as when the French speaks of "anglo-saxon rating agencies", they look at corporations like Standard&Poors or Moody's, not the people who criticized Longshanks' leadership ;)

Ok I was making fun of you for precisely this reason.

The modern use of this term is always tinged a bit negative and has its roots in 19th century ethno-nationalism (our pure Celtic-Scandinavian-German-Roman blood blah blah).

But for godsake man Longshanks was a Anglo-Frenchie, a French speaking descendent of the Dukes of Anjou.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Its been a long time since I have heard someone described as a WASP.  But I suppose those kinds of descriptions have their uses within some circles in Quebec.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on January 23, 2012, 02:17:22 PM
Not serious.  A bit ironic, but it was a throwaway post, not a real argument.  If you refer to Anglo-Saxon, I know what you mean, and ditto the writers. It's just shorthand, and not meant literally.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

I was just thinking this morning...Is there a difference in terminology between old English and Old English?
I was thinking that the latter is the actual damn near impossible to read language. old English meanwhile....well that is Shakespeare or even Tolkein or what have you, just English which is old.
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

I prefer Colt 45 myself.  Olde English is acceptable in a pinch I guess.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2012, 02:25:25 PM
But for godsake man Longshanks was a Anglo-Frenchie, a French speaking descendent of the Dukes of Anjou.
But he's the embodiment of the English King, along with Arthur.  Most of England's greatest kings weren't really English (as we'd define it today), I suppose.  Wasn't it around the War of the Roses that French was totally abandonned in favour of English along the nobility?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 23, 2012, 02:27:59 PM
Its been a long time since I have heard someone described as a WASP.  But I suppose those kinds of descriptions have their uses within some circles in Quebec outside of the US & Canada.
fixed your post ;)

If we're serious though, the terme "WASP" is not really used outside historians and maybe neo-nazis too.  Only the two middle letters, since religion and colour aren't that important anymore.