Another Raz history question: medieval armor

Started by Razgovory, January 16, 2012, 08:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

In the movies you often seen knights, soldiers and nobles wearing armor all the time.  Standing guard, traveling, just hanging around.  In particular chain mail is depicted like this.  I was thinking, mail is kinda heavy and probably unconformable.  While warriors trained in it, it was likely a pain to wear for very long.  Not to mention that it's high maintenance.  Straps and leather break and wear out, the armor will rust if you aren't careful, and the like.  I bet it's also hot to wear. 

So my question is, how often did people where that armor?  Did they travel to the battlefield wearing something more comfortable and then put it on a little before the battle started?  Did they really have guards stand around in mail?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

A mail shirt isn't that heavy for a man in good shape, 20-30 pounds depending on how long (to hips or knees). Plus it's equally distributed across your body.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

20-30 pounds sounds quite heavy when you have to wear it the whole day and move in it. Siege should be able to tell us how hard it is...

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on January 16, 2012, 09:06:36 AM
20-30 pounds sounds quite heavy when you have to wear it the whole day and move in it. Siege should be able to tell us how hard it is...

No he won't, he just carries around the medieval mindset.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I'm really bad with weights and have no clue how much 30 pounds is but...surely modern soldiers carry around so much on their back when they're out marching?
And that's not very evenly distributed.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on January 16, 2012, 09:09:17 AM
Quote from: Zanza on January 16, 2012, 09:06:36 AM

No he won't, he just carries around the medieval mindset.
:XD:

Caliga

It's not that heavy, no, though after a full day of wearing it my shoulders were very sore.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Tyr on January 16, 2012, 09:25:41 AM
I'm really bad with weights and have no clue how much 30 pounds is but...surely modern soldiers carry around so much on their back when they're out marching?
And that's not very evenly distributed.

WWI infantrymen carried something like 250 lbs in their pack IIRC (I've got the actual numbers somewhere, but I'm not going to look it up--and of course if varied a bit from one country to another).  WWII soldiers didn't have that much of a load, and most modern infanty has a bit less than the WWII era I think, but it's still way more than 30 lbs, and as stated, it's not evenly distributed.

Zanza

250 lbs? I couldn't even carry that for a mile. That sounds way too much.

Viking

The weight of chainmail at least is well within the weight of the normal load of infantry men through all of history. I'd expect you could carry it when in the field. Though, I suspect while on guard duty they would carry lighter kit, probably like the Yeoman Warders in the Tower of London. Heavy cloth which is capable of stopping small knives, deflecting most light slashing weapons and enough weight to stop anything more than a aimed powerful arrow.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Richard Hakluyt

Wearing a mailshirt is not too bad, it's a bit like being  30lbs overweight as the weight is so well-distributed.

PDH

US marines in World War 2 carried a pack that weight somewhere around 70 lbs.

Chainmail is not the most comfortable to wear, 30 lbs is a lighter shirt - one that was reinforces on the shoulders or other vital bits might be 45 or more lbs.  That is a lot of weight to carry on the shoulders, and even a good stout belt didn't lower this down too much.  Plus, to distribute the weight better straps would be needed.  Remember, under this was also a thick gambeson, so it was often hot as well.

Now, that said, it is not the easiest to put on quickly for a fight, heavy, to not shift it needs to be at least belted - and there is no real good way to carry it other than to wear it.  Soldiers who did have it would often wear it, but when in a place that they could take it off, I am quite sure they did.

Now, after antiquity, it was not all that common, at least until the High Middle Ages.  Before 1000 (as a rough year), it was for leaders, richer cavalry, and the nobs.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

dps

PDH brings up a good point.  If your choice is either to wear chainmail, or to carry it around unworn, you'd be a fool to carry it around unworn.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on January 16, 2012, 10:53:42 AM
WWI infantrymen carried something like 250 lbs in their pack IIRC (I've got the actual numbers somewhere, but I'm not going to look it up--and of course if varied a bit from one country to another).
That sounds extremely implausible, especially considering that people back then were a whole lot skinnier than they are now.

Ed Anger

My +5 helm of disintegration weighs nothing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive