News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paula’s big fat secret

Started by garbon, January 13, 2012, 12:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/01/13/011312-gossip-paula-deen-1-2/

QuotePaula Deen — the queen of high-calorie, Southern cooking — is about to come clean and confess that she can't eat her own dishes anymore because she has diabetes.

The Georgia-born chef — a Food Network star who has written five best-selling cookbooks — has been trying to keep her condition a secret, even after the National Enquirer reported in April that she has Type 2 diabetes, which is often associated with fatty foods and obesity.

Sources say Deen, 64, who never addressed the diabetes question, has worked out a multimillion-dollar deal to be the spokeswoman for a pharmaceutical company and endorse the drug she is taking.

Novartis, the drug company she is said to be working for, declined to respond to Flash's questions, as did Deen's agent and Deen herself.

"Paula Deen is going to have to reposition herself now that she has diabetes," said one source. "She's going to have to start cooking healthier recipes. She can't keep pushing mac and cheese and deep-fried Twinkies when she is hawking a diabetes drug."

Deen has faced withering criticism for the high amounts of fat, salt and sugar in her dishes. When Deen's cookbook for kids, "Lunch-Box Set," was published in 2009, Barbara Walters asked her, "You tell kids to have cheesecake for breakfast. You tell them to have chocolate cake and meatloaf for lunch. And french fries. Doesn't it bother you that you're adding to this?"

Last August, "No Reservations" host Anthony Bourdain called Deen "the worst, most dangerous person to America" and said she should "think twice before telling an already obese nation that it's OK to eat food that is killing us."

Deen replied, "You know, not everybody can afford to pay $58 for prime rib or $650 for a bottle of wine. My friends and I cook for regular families who worry about feeding their kids and paying the bills ... It wasn't that long ago that I was struggling to feed my family, too."

Look for some changes to the menu at The Lady & Sons — the restaurant Deen owns in Savannah, Ga., with her sons, Jamie and Bobby Deen — which is heavy on fried chicken, ribs, cheesy meatloaf and sweet potatoes. Maybe she'll retire "Paula's Brunch Burger," which features a fried egg and bacon atop a burger served between glazed doughnuts instead of a bun.

Bobby Deen seems to have anticipated the conundrum. "Not My Mama's Meals" — his show featuring healthier versions of his mother's recipes — debuted this month on Cooking Channel.

:(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

My wife has started watching her show a bit, and I told her that there's no way I'm eating stuff from that program.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Southern cooking is good, but comes with a price. :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

It is hardly news-worthy that Paula Deen's food is extremely high in fat. :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Paula Deen for the Euros:

HEY Y'ALL
HEY Y'ALL
HEY Y'ALL
HEY Y'ALL
HEY Y'ALL HEY Y'ALL HEY Y'ALL HEY Y'ALL HEY Y'ALL HEY Y'ALL 4 STICKS OF BUTTER!
HEY Y'ALL
HEY Y'ALL
HEY Y'ALL

for 30 minutes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 13, 2012, 05:23:37 PM
Paula Deen for the Euros:

HEY Y'ALL
HEY Y'ALL
HEY Y'ALL
HEY Y'ALL
HEY Y'ALL HEY Y'ALL HEY Y'ALL HEY Y'ALL HEY Y'ALL HEY Y'ALL 4 STICKS OF BUTTER!
HEY Y'ALL
HEY Y'ALL
HEY Y'ALL

for 30 minutes.

Toss in the dog and the bird and the Santa Claus guy she's married to along with the ambigously sexual sons.
PDH!

Ideologue

QuoteYou tell kids to have cheesecake for breakfast. You tell them to have chocolate cake and meatloaf for lunch. And french fries. Doesn't it bother you[?]

I'm confused.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42oUVwyFsZI

OMFG

Fried chocolate cheescake dusted with powdered sugar and drizzled with chocolate syrup.  There is a new God now; and this be His communion.

She fucks it up with whipped cream though.  :yuk:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2012, 06:22:19 PM

OMFG

Fried chocolate cheescake dusted with powdered sugar and drizzled with chocolate syrup.  There is a new God now; and this be His communion.

You got something against Cool Whip there boy?

/used to have the complete set of Cool Whip cereal bowls.

Ideologue

I don't like the flavor or consistency, and I've rarely much liked how different components of the same food item will be served at wildly different temperatures (ice cream on a brownie is OK).
Kinemalogue

The Larch

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2012, 06:22:19 PM

OMFG

The deep-frying gets two :x, covering it with sugar gets one :x, glazing it with syrup gets an additional :x, and pouring even more sugar on top is an extra :x.

Ed Anger

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 13, 2012, 06:24:19 PM

God I used to love Cool Whip.  My mother didn't really care if we ate junk food, but gobbling Cool Whip straight from the container really pushed her buttons.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 13, 2012, 06:32:22 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 13, 2012, 06:24:19 PM

God I used to love Cool Whip.  My mother didn't really care if we ate junk food, but gobbling Cool Whip straight from the container really pushed her buttons.

GUILTY!  :Embarrass: