And we're back!

Main Menu

Time to give Martinus an aneurysm

Started by CountDeMoney, April 30, 2009, 04:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

From Wash Post's PostPartisan :P
Quote'Hoax' Against Hate Crimes Bill

Earlier today, I called Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-N.C.), hoping to get her statement of contrition for her stunningly ignorant comments about the murder of Matthew Shepard.

While arguing against passage of the hate crimes bill yesterday, Foxx said:

QuoteI also would like to point out that there was a bill -- the hate crimes bill that's called the Matthew Shepard bill is named after a very unfortunate incident that happened where a young man was killed, but we know that that young man was killed in the commitment of a robbery. It wasn't because he was gay. This -- the bill was named for him, hate crimes bill was named for him, but it's really a hoax that that continues to be used as an excuse for passing these bills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZmB4EiQtQI&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvoices%2Ewashingtonpost%2Ecom%2Fpostpartisan%2F2009%2F04%2Fhoax%5Fagainst%5Fhate%5Fcrimes%5Fbill%2Ehtml&feature=player_embedded

A hoax?

"This is the urban legend that wouldn't die," Matthew's mother, Judy Shepard, told me as she headed to the airport after spending a couple of days on Capitol Hill pushing for a federal hate crimes law. "If anyone read the court transcripts, they would know Matt was singled out because he was gay. That makes it a hate crime by any definition."

The hate crimes bill -- which would expand the definition of hate crimes punishable by federal law to include attacks based on a victim's sexual orientation, gender identity and mental or physical disability -- has had a hard time getting through Congress. President Bush was against it. Opponents, many of them Republican, believe that existing statutes are adequate. I disagree on the same grounds espoused by House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.), who said that hate crimes "not only injure individual victims, but also terrorize entire segments of our population and tear at our nation's social fabric."

Well, despite Foxx's comments, the House yesterday passed the Federal Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 by a vote of 249 to 175.

Mrs. Shepard said she's "really confident" that it will become law this time "given the support we have from the president and Harry Reid," the senate majority leader. In a statement before the vote, President Obama said: "I urge members on both sides of the aisle to act on this important civil rights issue by passing this legislation to protect all of our citizens from violent acts of intolerance."

At Foxx's office this morning, no one answered the phone. I couldn't leave a message because the mailbox was full. But, thanks to Glenn Thrush, I was able to see the statement she released.

QuoteIt has come to my attention that some people have been led to believe that I think the terrible crimes that led to Matthew Shepard's death in 1998 were a hoax. The term "hoax" was a poor choice of words used in the discussion of the hate crimes bill. Mr. Shepard's death was nothing less than a tragedy, and those responsible for his death certainly deserved the punishment they received. I am especially sorry if his grieving family was offended by my statement.

The larger context of my remarks is important. I was referring to a 2004 ABCNews 20/20 report on Mr. Shepard's death. ABC's 20/20 report questioned the motivation of those responsible for Mr. Shepard's death. Referencing this media account may have been a mistake, but it was a mistake based on what I believed were reliable accounts.

Not that she asked, but my advice to her is stop digging.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Faeelin

Meanwhile, the Republican rebuttal.

QuoteHouse Minority Leader John Boehner, Ohio Republican, told an editorial board meeting at The Washington Times that the hate-crimes bill makes him "want to throw up," and noted that it doesn't make sense to prosecute "what we think [criminals] were thinking as opposed to what they did."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/30/thought-crimes/

Yes, asshat, because mens rea is never taken into account in criminal law.

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on April 30, 2009, 06:34:37 PM
Meanwhile, the Republican rebuttal.

QuoteHouse Minority Leader John Boehner, Ohio Republican, told an editorial board meeting at The Washington Times that the hate-crimes bill makes him "want to throw up," and noted that it doesn't make sense to prosecute "what we think [criminals] were thinking as opposed to what they did."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/30/thought-crimes/

Yes, asshat, because mens rea is never taken into account in criminal law.
He brings up a good point though.  The concept of 'hate crimes' laws are deeply offensive, especially at this late date.  I mean, if peoples who were actually persecuted didn't need hate crime laws, maybe gays should just shut up and kill themselves.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Quote from: Neil on April 30, 2009, 06:37:57 PM
He brings up a good point though.  The concept of 'hate crimes' laws are deeply offensive, especially at this late date.  I mean, if peoples who were actually persecuted didn't need hate crime laws, maybe gays should just shut up and kill themselves.

What people? There's federal hate crime legislation in place already in the US for race, religion, and national origin.

garbon

I dislike hate crime legislation but I understand its purpose.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on April 30, 2009, 06:40:58 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 30, 2009, 06:37:57 PM

What people? There's federal hate crime legislation in place already in the US for race, religion, and national origin.
The Irish.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Code of Hammurabi

283 If a free man strikes a slave, he shall pay ten shekels

284 If a free man strikes another free man, he shall pay one gold mina

285 If a free man strikes a gay or a minority, he shall pay six gold mina and have his ear cut off

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 30, 2009, 06:57:53 PM

285 If a free man strikes a gay or a minority, he shall pay six gold mina and have his ear cut off

:mad: I should be free to thrash martinus on the street.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 30, 2009, 06:58:47 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 30, 2009, 06:57:53 PM

:mad: I should be free to thrash martinus on the street.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
You're an American.  You can go to Poland and flout their laws, thanks to the extraterritoriality agreement you guys inserted into the missile defence agreement.

I suggest you fly in and savage him.

Ed Anger

Plus, Polish cops wouldn't be able to figure out my "zig-zag" style of evasion.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 30, 2009, 07:19:14 PM
Make sure you do it on a rainy day and stay above them. ^_^
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 30, 2009, 07:19:14 PM

:lol: :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 30, 2009, 06:58:47 PM

:mad: It should be free to thrash martinus on the street.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

There, fixed it for you...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.