And we're back!

Main Menu

Hey Nerds, you ready for D&D 5e?

Started by Ed Anger, January 09, 2012, 07:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 10, 2012, 09:41:18 AM
They have to milk the tards.

At least White Wolf releases a lot of readable fluff in their books, so it is even fun to read when you do not intend to run a system. D&D is a pure moneygrabbing machine.

Yeah D&D used to be that way as well.  This has just been since WOTC took it over.  I thought they were right to do 3rd ed at the time but now it seems like the new business model: reboot everything every couple years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

D&D has been, is and remains garbage.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on January 10, 2012, 11:36:51 AM

I would agree with exception of 2nd addition.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2012, 10:02:15 AMThis has just been since WOTC took it over.

I've been effectively on strike since then. They canceled Birthright, the fuckers.

I bitterly cling to my West End Star Wars books.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Solmyr

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 10, 2012, 12:10:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2012, 10:02:15 AMThis has just been since WOTC took it over.

I've been effectively on strike since then. They canceled Birthright, the fuckers.

There's quite an active Birthright PBEM community out there. I've run a game of two myself. :)

I played 3e and 3.5 quite a bit, running campaigns for my group. Never got 4e though, as I moved to WFRP 2e at that time. Of course, then they went and made a new edition of WFRP too, so it's a moneygrubbing machine too, despite what Marty says. And I've lost count of how many editions GURPS has had. :P

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on January 10, 2012, 11:44:51 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 10, 2012, 11:36:51 AM

I would agree with exception of 2nd addition.

Well he is basically right in the sense that I suppose D&D, particularly the early versions of it, were terrible gaming systems.  I prefer it simply because I grew up with it.

But 2nd Edition was brilliant because of all the creativity with settings and so forth.  Birthright and Planescape and Darksun and the Asian settings (both far east and near east) were all really interesting.  I particularly loved Planescape.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Darth Wagtaros

The older iterations would have a lot of flavor text that was cool to leaf through.
PDH!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on January 10, 2012, 09:35:31 AM
Say what?
Wasn't version 4 just a year or two back?
I remember AD&D v 2 was around forever. New versions are coming fast these days.

From what I understand after talking to Kain yesterday, somebody at Wizards basically admitted they completely threw out testers' feedback for 4E, and are going to be doing an open beta this time around, so this has the sounds of damage control to my ears.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on January 10, 2012, 10:02:24 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 09, 2012, 07:48:24 PM

http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20120109

Summary: "I put on my robe and wizard hat..."

That pic is so classic.   :lol:

Jesus Christ, is that Chevy Chase?  I didn't recognize him at first.  Man that guy has aged.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 10, 2012, 09:20:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2012, 09:15:13 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 10, 2012, 09:13:03 AM
You are never to old to wear +5 helm of pony friendship.

Ewwwww.  I am not teh Brain.

I just sat through my kids watching a recorded my little pony episode. So pony references for everybody.
You a big Rainbow Dash fan?  Heh.  As to the actual topic:  meh.  My friends and I still play some variants such as Rokugon and Star Wars in terms of WotC products, but the constant reboots are definitely driving us away or toward older stuff.  While some of the changes are nice and even needed, overall it is simply too much to keep investing in new books.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

If I was still playing I would get this.  What is the cost of this - $40?  You spend that on a video game that you may or may not like/play. 

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 10, 2012, 04:35:09 PM
If I was still playing I would get this.  What is the cost of this - $40?  You spend that on a video game that you may or may not like/play. 

But this is the exact same game with slightly tweaked rules.  Only sports video game fans do that.

Razgovory

This is why I like Gurps.  The last version was from 2004 and they show no signs of changing again.  The change from 3e to 4e wasn't that drastic either, not like the complete overhaul between D&D versions.  Mostly smaller things like reducing the number of redundant advantages/disadvantages by making them more generic and streamlining some of the more complex rules. The rules for vehicles were notoriously bad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2012, 04:43:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 10, 2012, 04:35:09 PM

But this is the exact same game with slightly tweaked rules.  Only sports video game fans do that.

Oh really, how many versions of EU have people here played (including expansion packs purchased).  Not to mention all the other variations on the theme that Paradox has turned out - to use but one example.