Raz History Question: Were the airborne landings in Normandy worth the cost?

Started by Razgovory, January 09, 2012, 07:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2012, 11:45:10 AM
I thought airborne casualties were not particularly heavy.

They were about 10%, which is pretty heavy for a day's action, and about the equal of what the forces assaulting Omaha beach put up with (though the initial waves at Omaha were more closely equivalent to the paratroops, and they suffered at probably double this rate).  Those at Utah beach were less than 1% that day.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on January 10, 2012, 12:43:15 PM
Why did they attack Hürtgen Forest anyway? Couldn't they just leave it at the flank and go for Cologne straight?
They thought they were assaulting Natalie Wood.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Why did they attack Hürtgen Forest anyway? Couldn't they just leave it at the flank and go for Cologne straight?

I believe it was because of our strategy of grinding forward along the entire front instead of trying for a breakthrough.  The only time we deviated from this strategy was Marketgarden and well...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

They were worried about some dams.  They thought the quickest way to the dams was though the forest.  Turns out, that was true for airplanes, but not tanks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2012, 02:07:02 PM
They thought they were assaulting Natalie Wood.

So they were pedos?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2012, 02:03:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2012, 11:45:10 AM
I thought airborne casualties were not particularly heavy.

They were about 10%, which is pretty heavy for a day's action, and about the equal of what the forces assaulting Omaha beach put up with (though the initial waves at Omaha were more closely equivalent to the paratroops, and they suffered at probably double this rate).  Those at Utah beach were less than 1% that day.

They were less, maybe considerably less, than expected though.  Didn't someone project a horrendous number like 60% before the landings?

Ideologue

Probably the same type who thought untrained, unmotivated, unfed quasi-civilians pointing sharp sticks at Allied troops from caves on Kyushu after we dropped white phosphorous and phosgene on them would result in a million casualties.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: 11B4V on January 10, 2012, 06:47:52 AM

Don't know that Stalingrad fits, given that the Germans never actually captured all of it.
Sure it does.

Rostov in '41 might make the point better--the Germans took it, but weren't able to hold it.
How does that concern the cost or importance?

The cost of the effort is as important. i.e. Arnhem, resulted in at least one destroyed British Airborne Division and Polish Brigade. 2nd battle of Kharkov, several destroyed Russian field Armies...etc

I don't disagree.  CdM suggested that the fact the airborne landings seized their objectives made them worth the cost.  Raz countered with, "Capturing objectives does not make an operation cost effective", to which CdM replied, "Yes, it does.  Except maybe Stalingrad".  My point was that even if you agree with Seedy, Stalingrad isn't a good example, because the Germans never actually completely captured the city.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on January 13, 2012, 03:50:09 PM
I don't disagree.  CdM suggested that the fact the airborne landings seized their objectives made them worth the cost.  Raz countered with, "Capturing objectives does not make an operation cost effective", to which CdM replied, "Yes, it does.  Except maybe Stalingrad".  My point was that even if you agree with Seedy, Stalingrad isn't a good example, because the Germans never actually completely captured the city.

That's why I said "maybe".  :P