Skynet activates Swedish robot, man attacked.

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 30, 2009, 02:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

http://www.thelocal.se/19120/20090428/

Robot attacked Swedish factory worker

Published: 28 Apr 09 10:12 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/19120/20090428/

A Swedish company has been fined 25,000 kronor ($3,000) after a malfunctioning robot attacked and almost killed one of its workers at a factory north of Stockholm.

Public prosecutor Leif Johansson mulled pressing charges against the firm but eventually opted to settle for a fine.

"I've never heard of a robot attacking somebody like this," he told news agency TT.

The incident took place in June 2007 at a factory in Bålsta, north of Stockholm, when the industrial worker was trying to carry out maintenance on a defective machine generally used to lift heavy rocks. Thinking he had cut off the power supply, the man approached the robot with no sense of trepidation.

But the robot suddenly came to life and grabbed a tight hold of the victim's head. The man succeeded in defending himself but not before suffering serious injuries.

"The man was very lucky. He broke four ribs and came close to losing his life," said Leif Johansson.

The matter was subject to an investigation by both the Swedish Work Environment Authority (Arbetsmiljöverket) and the police.

Prosecutor Johansson chastised the company for its inadequate safety procedures but he also placed part of the blame on the injured worker.

I, for one, well you know.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Darth Wagtaros

It is shameful that Swedish Mechanical Men are not built with the Three Laws hardcoded in.  If they had any sort of military I'd be concerned about Skynet taking over.
PDH!

The Brain

You must rule and win
Or serve and lose
Suffer or triumph
Be rock or robot
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Pretty weak move by Skynet. It attacks a man who didn't know how to turn the robot off.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Its just learning now garbs.  Soon it will begin transforming unwilling humans into cybernetic slaves via transmissions in iPhones and HDTVs. 
PDH!

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2009, 02:35:15 PM
Pretty weak move by Skynet. It attacks a man who didn't know how to turn the robot off.

Not only that, but an unarmed man taken by surprise was able to "succeed in defending himself". That's one weak-ass killer robot.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

Neil

Why would the company be fined?  For employing a total moron?

Given the well-known congenital idiocy that has ravaged Sweden, it's a wonder that anyone can escape fines at all.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on April 30, 2009, 02:40:22 PM

Given the well-known congenital idiocy that has ravaged Sweden, it's a wonder that anyone can escape fines at all.

OTOH 25,000 SEK = pittance
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Perhaps they didn't have an "appropriate" protocol for making sure that robots were deactivated.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grallon

All of this has happened before... And will happen again.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on April 30, 2009, 04:00:23 PM
All of this has happened before... And will happen again.
Starbuck is a man.  I beat you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Iormlund

We can't be sure without more information but dangerous machinery usually has to be in enclosed spaces and any attempt to get access or walk nearby should render it inactive using relays at doors, infrared, pressure or ultrasonic sensors, etc.
It is certainly possible the company didn't follow safety guidelines.

Neil

Quote from: Iormlund on April 30, 2009, 04:07:29 PM

We can't be sure without more information but dangerous machinery usually has to be in enclosed spaces and any attempt to get access or walk nearby should render it inactive using relays at doors, infrared, pressure or ultrasonic sensors, etc.
It is certainly possible the company didn't follow safety guidelines.
Wow.  That's a bit much.