News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

It's morning in Obama's America

Started by citizen k, January 07, 2012, 12:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2012, 06:33:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the losses suffered on CDS were a fraction of total losses.

You'd be wrong.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2012, 11:24:43 PM
Whoa, what happened to Camper?  Did something happen to Camper when I was gone?  I mean, I know he's not here now, but I thought he was one of the ones who just wandered off (like Vinraith, or Hamilcar, or me, for that matter).

He worked at Washington Mutual...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2012, 01:36:29 AM
Whoa, what happened to Camper?  Did something happen to Camper when I was gone?  I mean, I know he's not here now, but I thought he was one of the ones who just wandered off (like Vinraith, or Hamilcar, or me, for that matter).

Ah.  Actually, I think I kind of remember this now.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2012, 01:31:35 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2012, 06:33:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the losses suffered on CDS were a fraction of total losses.

You'd be wrong.
He is right, of course.  CDS losses were a fraction of total losses.  A fraction close to 1, but a fraction nonetheless.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on January 14, 2012, 01:17:15 AM
And I'm pretty sure I'd already predicted an economic collapse by that point. :hmm:

No doubt.
You've successfully predicted ten of the last two economic collapses.   ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 14, 2012, 12:26:11 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 14, 2012, 01:17:15 AM
And I'm pretty sure I'd already predicted an economic collapse by that point. :hmm:

No doubt.
You've successfully predicted ten of the last two economic collapses.   ;)

:D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

KRonn

I remember Camper too.

Siege

Malthus predicted the collapse of China back in 2001.

We are still waiting.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Phillip V

Half of U.S Lives in Household Receiving Government Benefits

'The pool of Americans relying on government benefits rose to record highs last year as an increasing share of families tapped aid in a weak economy.

Some 48.6% of the population lived in a household receiving some type of government benefit in the second quarter of 2010, up from 48.5% in the first quarter.'

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/01/17/nearly-half-of-u-s-lives-in-household-receiving-government-benefits/
QuoteTo combat prolonged economic weakness, Congress extended unemployment benefits to a record 99 weeks (up from the normal 26-weeks offered in most states). The food stamp program was tweaked so it was more generous. Americans flocked to Social Security disability, a last bastion of support for some of the long-term unemployed.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Lemonjello was a pretty big optimist back then.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

Fed Signals That a Full Recovery Is Years Away

'The Federal Reserve said it was not likely to raise interest rates until the end of 2014, adding 18 months to the expected duration of its response to the slump.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/economy/fed-to-maintain-rates-near-zero-through-late-2014.html?hp

Ideologue

Lowering the interest rates: a complete and total solution to all economic problems.
Kinemalogue

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2012, 01:36:29 AM

He was actually retained there a bit longer than most due to his specific skill set.  Last I heard from him he was getting ready to take a job at UW.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

We are getting into backroom confidences.  If such a place existed that is.