News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anyone else having a day off today?

Started by Martinus, January 06, 2012, 05:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

It's the second year since we had this weird holiday introduced because of the catholic lobby (in exchange, they cancelled the right to get an extra day off if a holiday falls on Saturday or Sunday, so we are a couple of free days per year short overall on this  <_< ) and I was wondering if there is any other country that has this as a holiday as well.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

The three wise men seeing Baby Jesus for the first time is an excellent reason to have a day off in my humble opinion. ;)

It's only a day off in the Catholic states of Germany, but happily I happen to live in one.  :pope:

Brazen

Almost worth converting to Catholicism for.

Syt

Yep, I have off. Some colleagues are at the office, though, because of a UK-imposed reporting deadline. Theytake the Monday off instead.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on January 06, 2012, 05:16:29 AM
Sure.

You are just answering the question literally, i.e. that surely anyone besides myself has a day off today, right? :P

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on January 06, 2012, 05:30:33 AM
Sure.

You are just answering the question literally, i.e. that surely anyone besides myself has a day off today, right? :P

This is a day off in Sweden.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on January 06, 2012, 05:25:51 AM
The three wise men seeing Baby Jesus for the first time is an excellent reason to have a day off in my humble opinion. ;)

It's only a day off in the Catholic states of Germany, but happily I happen to live in one.  :pope:

Yeah, must be every young mother's dream - three old creepy guys coming with bribes (which include foul-smelling plants to smoke) so they can see your recently born baby.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on January 06, 2012, 05:31:38 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 06, 2012, 05:30:33 AM
Sure.

This is a day off in Sweden.

Oh ok. :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on January 06, 2012, 05:32:15 AM
Yeah, must be every young mother's dream - three old creepy guys coming with bribes (which include foul-smelling plants to smoke) so they can see your recently born baby.

Eh, she was sleeping in a barn and one of them had gold.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

At least she didn't marry the 4,000 y/o father.

Viking

In iceland we take today off because today the theiving christmas troll leave town with their loot. We have to keep them from one more round of larceny.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Larch

It's a holiday in Spain as well. Some places already got yesterday afternoon too.

Valmy

You get paid $800 an hour right?  That is one expensive holiday.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."