New X-COM game coming . . . and it's turn based strategy!

Started by Syt, January 05, 2012, 11:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

With a bit of unluck in spawning, the base can be quite hard.

Razgovory

I'd say the base starts the mid game.  You should probably research lasers and the early armor.  I didn't have to much trouble with it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Pedrito on January 15, 2013, 05:31:21 AM
[spoiler]I've built the key to the alien base, question: is it an early-to-mid-game mission? because my team is still rather behind in development, should I wait some more to attack the base?[/spoiler]

Do the alien base as fast as you can - as soon as you get laser weapons and carapace armor.  The longer you wait, the more powerful aliens you'll see in there.

Tamas

Quote from: ulmont on January 15, 2013, 09:38:41 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on January 15, 2013, 05:31:21 AM
[spoiler]I've built the key to the alien base, question: is it an early-to-mid-game mission? because my team is still rather behind in development, should I wait some more to attack the base?[/spoiler]

Do the alien base as fast as you can - as soon as you get laser weapons and carapace armor.  The longer you wait, the more powerful aliens you'll see in there.

so THAT'S why it was hard as hell the first time around.

Razgovory

I didn't have much of a problem with that mission.  I only had problems when I first ran into a giant robot.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pedrito

Damn Mutons  <_<

The first time I've encountered them, three of them wiped away my best (and only) squad, and now all I've got is a bunch of south african and middle eastern rookies. Time to restart, methinks. THis time my home base will be in Africa.

I want my guys to wear a helmet, but all I can see is a slider to change their faces: am I missing something?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

daveracher

Quote from: Pedrito on January 15, 2013, 05:46:22 PM
Damn Mutons  <_<

The first time I've encountered them, three of them wiped away my best (and only) squad, and now all I've got is a bunch of south african and middle eastern rookies. Time to restart, methinks. THis time my home base will be in Africa.

I want my guys to wear a helmet, but all I can see is a slider to change their faces: am I missing something?

L.

Helmets are in the diff hair selections slider
Birdman of Burlington

Pedrito

Quote from: daveracher on January 15, 2013, 05:48:45 PM
Helmets are in the diff hair selections slider

...but only if you have the DLC, I found out  <_<

BTW, this is one hell of a game: it's the first time since many years that I find myself up at 2 a.m. to play that one more turn, or wait for the next tech advance.
Despite it having some shortcomings, it's ridiculously funny and engaging.

Things I hate:
- shooting a rocket or throwing a grenade is difficult due to the sensitivity of the aim control;
- the consolification of the menus is rather irritating, not to say it's a pain in the ass;
- I want some more info and statistics, especially on the aftermath of missions and about my fallen soldiers; give me a spreadsheet with some useless stats, I want to remember how my three best assaults were fried in three consecutive missions, damn!...and by whom they were fried, too.
- I am ALWAYS in dire need of more money; I spend 80% of the month's budget in the first three days  <_<
- Chryssalids; may they rot in alien hell.

Thing I like:
- pretty much everything else.

I've finally conquered the alien base, pity my best assault, Maximo Park, was killed by a muton immediately after stunning the base commander. Buddies Deep Purple, Daft Punk, Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy and Joy Division mourn the loss of their comrade.

A spoilerish question: [spoiler]is there a way to interrupt the mind control of one of my men, other than killing the mind controller? I don't want my soldiers to kill their controlled buddy, but I haven't found any other way to free them.[/spoiler]

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Grey Fox

Use a controller
Mind control the mind controller
Start in Africa
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Interesting the thread should be updated as I just got around to finishing the game yesterday.
My first try at the last mission was a failure. Some bug stopped me taking half of my men into the last room so I had to reload, which meant I knew where everything was and stormed through effortlessly.

Spoiluxus maximus:

Wonder why they dont show the Outsider on the last mission. :hmm: Obvious sequel setup generally though.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Coming for the Mac too on April 24th. Hopefully, not a Cider port... PC mods not too hard to install would be nice too.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/24/firaxis-2k-games-reveal-xcom-enemy-unknown-port-for-ios

QuoteEast iOS announcement also came with a release date for the Mac version of the game. Mac gamers will get their port on April 24. The iOS version is expected to arrive some time over the summer.

Josquius

Is there much point in mac ports these days? I thought modern macs could play windows stuff. And even before that was so the mac was hardly the land of games
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Less so nowadays than before indeed, but companies can charge more for a Mac port than a PC, specially when the Mac is released some time after the PC.
I'm more sceptical about the iOS port though. Don't know much about iPad gaming but it has to be better than playing on a smartphone.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

17 minute chat between the designers of original X-COM, Julian Gollop and the new XCOM, Jake Solomon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z8zZsecTRfM
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.