Started by Strix, April 30, 2009, 02:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on May 01, 2009, 12:38:35 PM
I really don't know what to do.  I ordered the building of a Farm and a researched Wealth.  Perhaps Languish members should form an alliance.  Present a united front toward an uncaring galaxay.

I don't trust any of you lot, so I'll be damned if I enter into any alliance unless I am given assurances you won't backstab me until at least halfway into the game.-  :P

ulmont

Quote from: Slargos on May 01, 2009, 01:09:11 PM
I don't trust any of you lot, so I'll be damned if I enter into any alliance unless I am given assurances you won't backstab me until at least halfway into the game.-  :P

Uh, yes, I'll give you lots of assurances.  You can trust my assurances...   :D

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Strix

The best early game strat seems to be researching science for the first 3-4 techs so that it increases your research speed. For structures you need to build a few manufacturing plants so that you can build multiple things at once.

Agents are also important to have early on. Using agents, you can steal copious amounts of population from other worlds (increasing tax base) or have it done to yourself if they aren't around for counter espionage.

The other common beginner mistake is not reading up on the differences between core, mid, and rim worlds. The two important factors are that core world rulers can run for the great council (which has a lot of power in the game) and the second relates to attacking speed/time that it takes to reach the target and return to your planet (which becomes important if you leave yourself open to a counterattack by an ally or raider).

Alliances in the game are good because they increase money and provide defense. Many of the returning players are in big alliances. Also, if several members of Languish start in Core worlds they can be voted on to the Council.

Just some thoughts...

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Berkut

So how often do "months" go by in this game?

0 rows returned

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on May 04, 2009, 04:04:33 PM
Has it even started yet?

Yeah, I'm getting random diplo status updates from other planets now, but I don't seem to have made any progress towards research or production.  So "sort of."

Razgovory

I wonder if there's some kind of "start button" that starts research and stuff.  I have my projects but I just don't see any progress.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Razgovory

ulmont

Razgovory

Quote from: ulmont on May 06, 2009, 01:38:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 06, 2009, 01:33:19 PM
I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Yeah, me neither.

I'm allied with people but most of them I don't know.  I don't know if I'm in one of the big alliances or not.

Berkut

Man, this game is awesome. I am pretty sure I am winning.

0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on May 06, 2009, 04:03:31 PM
Man, this game is awesome. I am pretty sure I am winning.

How can you tell?