News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2012

Started by jimmy olsen, January 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

As bad as the Padres are, they might be doing San Diego fans a favor by keeping them off TV.

Syt

The Pirates are 11 games over .500.  :cool:

But what the fuck is going on with Tim Lincecum? Blass desease?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

It's weird in his starts he's doing well except for one inning he goes to shit.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Minsky Moment

Linceum still has a 2-1  K/BB ratio this year (as oppposed to Blass whose ratio went to worse than 1-3).    He's been walking a bunch of guys but his walk ratio is no worse than that of Yu Darvish or his teammate Zito.  It's actually better than Volquez and Jimenez. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Why couldn't have Blass fallen apart in the 1971 World Series?  There is no justice.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: katmai on July 08, 2012, 09:52:14 PM
It's weird in his starts he's doing well except for one inning he goes to shit.

I don't know if it's the cause of his problems, but apparantly the Giants made a change to his wind-up so that he would supposedly hide the ball better before his release point.  Even if that's not the problem, sounds like they should have taken an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it approach".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on July 08, 2012, 09:50:26 PM
The Pirates are 11 games over .500.  :cool:

But what the fuck is going on with Tim Lincecum? Blass desease?

Orioles over 500 too. Not looking so good for my Cubs pick right now.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Great game last night.  NL puts up a bunch of runs early and then shuts out the AL.  Tony La Russa's last game managing in a Cards uniform.  Lots of other Cards uniforms there as well.

And those dipshits Brandon Philips & Johnny Cueto had to watch the game from home.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Really disastrous result for the Rangers last night.  Just their luck to have their Dynasty just when the NL starts to take over the All-Star game.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2012, 10:55:54 AM
Great game last night.  NL puts up a bunch of runs early and then shuts out the AL.  Tony La Russa's last game managing in a Cards uniform.  Lots of other Cards uniforms there as well.

And those dipshits Brandon Philips & Johnny Cueto had to watch the game from home.
Seriously?  I thought it was terrible.  It was basically over after the first half of an inning.  It just seemed to drag on at that point.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah, the game was pretty bad imo.  There wasn't a bunch of cool shit going on that might make it fun to watch despite being a blowout, just Verlander walking some dudes and giving up some hits and a home run a couple innings later. 

E:  And yeah, bad news for the Rangers or whoever comes out of the AL.  I still find it hilariously dumb that a game like this decides something as important as home field advantage during the World Series.  Oh noes!  A tie in an exhibition game!

While it's probably better than the strange alternating...thing...they had going on before this, it's hugely inferior to just using regular season records.

dps

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 11, 2012, 08:10:48 PM
Yeah, the game was pretty bad imo.  There wasn't a bunch of cool shit going on that might make it fun to watch despite being a blowout, just Verlander walking some dudes and giving up some hits and a home run a couple innings later. 

E:  And yeah, bad news for the Rangers or whoever comes out of the AL.  I still find it hilariously dumb that a game like this decides something as important as home field advantage during the World Series.  Oh noes!  A tie in an exhibition game!

While it's probably better than the strange alternating...thing...they had going on before this, it's hugely inferior to just using regular season records.

Yeah, the alternating home field advantage thing made absolutely no sense.  This at least makes some sense, but much, much less that just going with regular season records.  Heck, a coin toss to determine home field advantage makes more sense than the old system, and about as much as using the All-Star game.

derspiess

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 11, 2012, 07:50:34 PM
Seriously?  I thought it was terrible. 

Yes, seriously.  The NL won in a blowout.  I got so sick of the NL losing all those years, so it's nice to see them put together an actual streak of three consecutive wins. 

QuoteIt was basically over after the first half of an inning.  It just seemed to drag on at that point.

The first inning was awesome enough to cover the rest of the game, and I think it actually went pretty quickly after the first couple of innings.  And the NL won big.  Great game for me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point