News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PC Games List 2012

Started by Habbaku, January 04, 2012, 03:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on January 04, 2012, 07:36:14 PM
Yeah, I might actually be breaking my promise not to buy Paradox games at release any more if CK2 gives even a hint that it's playable out the gate.

The first one was not playable, well the game engine could not survive until the end of the game anyway, and it was fantastic so I will not let playability be a factor here :P

What matters is if the game is as amazingly fun as the first one: the greatest terribly designed and poorly coded game of all time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2012, 11:08:56 AM
Oh boy!  A game that came out for Xbox last May!

:unsure: which game are you talking about?  All those games are simultaneous releases (if they are multi-platform) that I can see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2012, 11:13:52 AM

:unsure: which game are you talking about?  All those games are simultaneous releases (if they are multi-platform) that I can see.

Alan Wake
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2012, 11:13:52 AM

Alan Wake.  Several games have been released previously on other platforms.  There are few PC exclusives here.  Some of them are a bit iffy if they'll ever come out.  Stalker 2?  The developer went under last year.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 04, 2012, 07:34:25 PM
I'm guiltily looking forward to CK2; I have always loved the concept behind CK and as long as it isn't 100% broken on launch day I'll be happy. Hell, I'll be happy if v. 1.0 doesn't have Mongol hordes in England by 1250.

They released a screenshot from a hand's off game from just before Christmas.  By the end of the campaign (1420s), "Al-Andalus" occupied most of modern day France and Spain, plus Savoy, Piedmont and chunks of Switzerland.  Denmark took over England (from other AARs this appears to be a common result) - except for a slice of territory around Norwich controlled by the . . .  Golden Horde.  :) Sweden had fragmented in Scandavia but carved out a nice block of territory around the area of modern Slovakia.  Poland migrated north and east and came to rest in the area around St. Petersburg.  To the thrill of Byzanteens everywhere, the Empire was very much alive and kicking and (in defiance of the otherwise dominant Mongol hordes) had expanded deep into the Caucasus, all the way north to within striking distance  of Moscow and east into modern Kazakhstan.  Apparently in response, Rus (still in existence) had picked up and moved east to come to rest just south of Omsk.

Well it's just one game and there is still some more development time to go . . .

My biggest concern is how they handle Spain because it is hard to model the reality that from the game start date, the Christian states had the upper hand but for a variety of reasons it took centuries for them to complete the Reconquista.  There needs to be some special dynamic in place that basically causes one side to band together whenever the other side is strong, while causing the side that is succeeding to start squabbling amongst themselves.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Well Denmark did almost take over England.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 05, 2012, 02:03:10 PM
Well it's just one game and there is still some more development time to go . . .

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2012, 02:16:57 PM
Well Denmark did almost take over England.

Yeah that in itself is not so shocking, although you'd think those frisky Danes would have done something about the Mongol Duke of Norfolk.

Perhaps more concerning is something I forget to mention - that Denmark also controls a sizable principality in Croatia.  ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Well, It's still better then EUIII, where the East coast of Africa may end up named "Spanish Korea".  Did they ever get Vicky 2 working?  I held off on that one.  I was wondering if they ever made it playable.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2012, 01:50:48 PM
Stalker 2?  The developer went under last year.

They sure are tweeting a lot for a developer that crapped out.

https://twitter.com/gscstalker

Someone asked about STALKER 2 beta testing, but they responded by saying they're not close to that point yet.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2012, 03:14:55 PM
Well, It's still better then EUIII, where the East coast of Africa may end up named "Spanish Korea".  Did they ever get Vicky 2 working?  I held off on that one.  I was wondering if they ever made it playable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSC_Game_World
QuoteFollowing initial reports in 2011 stating that their upcoming project, STALKER 2, had been cancelled, GSC tweeted a complete denial of the cancellation as well as denying rumors that the studio had closed its doors. However, they then deleted the tweet and later said an official comment would be made on 12 December 2011. They stated, "We will do our best to continue. However, at this moment, nothing is certain."On 23 December 2011 it was revealed that they are continuing to develop S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I can tweet ( I don't of course), so I don't think that's a good metric to see if a developer is still in business.  It is possible that a developer can come back after closing.  Look at Interplay, they have some sort of half-life going on.  It's been in a state between life and death for years now.  Some weird undead developer that has published a few cheap indie games.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2012, 03:29:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2012, 03:14:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSC_Game_World
QuoteFollowing initial reports in 2011 stating that their upcoming project, STALKER 2, had been cancelled, GSC tweeted a complete denial of the cancellation as well as denying rumors that the studio had closed its doors. However, they then deleted the tweet and later said an official comment would be made on 12 December 2011. They stated, "We will do our best to continue. However, at this moment, nothing is certain."On 23 December 2011 it was revealed that they are continuing to develop S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.

What does that have to do with EUIII, Victoria II, or CK II?

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 05, 2012, 02:03:10 PM

Compared to some of the stuff I would see in CK those results are not too absurd

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2012, 03:30:23 PM
I can tweet ( I don't of course), so I don't think that's a good metric to see if a developer is still in business.  It is possible that a developer can come back after closing.  Look at Interplay, they have some sort of half-life going on.  It's been in a state between life and death for years now.  Some weird undead developer that has published a few cheap indie games.

Why would they say they're continuing to develop Stalker 2 if they're out of business?  Why would they continue to say any of the shit they're saying there if they were out of business?  I don't really care one way or the other, since I highly doubt I'll be buying Stalker 2 unless it's a whim purchase from a bargain bin and all that, but they really appear to still be in business.