And we're back!

Main Menu

Americans, kiss your liberty good bye

Started by Martinus, January 04, 2012, 03:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2012, 09:05:10 AM
Quote from: grumbler on January 04, 2012, 09:03:24 AM
The only thing the Confederate constitution added to the US Constitution (other than incorporating all then-existing amendments) was to ban all legislation that involved more than one topic, and legislation which was not summarized by its title.

Did they?  I thought what they did was give the Confederate President a line item veto (that and a longer term) which I guess is pretty similar in effect.  Ironic that the Confederate President was so much more powerful than the US President at least Constitutionally considering what the Confederacy was supposed to be about in the first place.
They gave him a term limit as well, he could only serve one.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Oh go fuck yourself everybody. I am not a US lawyer and I post stuff from blogs not goddamn statutes.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 04, 2012, 09:31:16 AM
Oh go fuck yourself everybody. I am not a US lawyer and I post stuff from blogs not goddamn statutes.

America is exceptional and an inspiration to the people of the world.  Given that fact why are you not studying our statutes for inspiration and enlightenment?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 04, 2012, 09:25:01 AM
They gave him a term limit as well, he could only serve one.

I had forgotten that.  One six-year term.

I don't think I ever noticed the line-item veto Valmy pointed out.  It isn't written very clearly, but that is exactly what it is.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Fixed for accuracy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

And here comes the fit. Next stage of Martiniusism is storming off.

I await developments.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Don't you think it would be a good idea to consider these things *before* you come out guns blazing?

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 04, 2012, 05:05:53 AM
Pay for my time then.

:console:  It's okay Marty, nobody is willing to give me that kind of money for my time either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

When you play chicken little you need better back up :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2012, 09:46:10 AM

Don't you think it would be a good idea to consider these things *before* you come out guns blazing?

Why? Does everyone who posts a story on Languish first does a thorough background check and researche of primary sources?  :huh:

Rasputin

Oh go fuck yourself everybody. I am not a US lawyer ...

Interestingly enough, the converse is the very reason why I never post about how fucked up i think any given Polish law might be, despite what some Polish journalist or internet blogger may have written about what he thinks of the given law.  Having not spent any time in Poland, I also steadfastly avoid critiquing freedom in Poland or the lack thereof.
Who is John Galt?

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 04, 2012, 09:58:56 AM

Why? Does everyone who posts a story on Languish first does a thorough background check and researche of primary sources?  :huh:

Actually, I try to make sure it's from a good source before I post a new thread.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Rasputin

No but we don't always run off half cocked assuming its accuracy either.
Who is John Galt?

Admiral Yi

Of course not.  That's why they usually qualify their conclusions and don't call people ignorant rednecks for pointing out their errors.  As I used to say on Paradox, you can be a dick, and you can be wrong, but you shouldn't be both at the same time.

The Minsky Moment

First let's look at the whole thing: (with some bolded parts for emphasis):

QuoteSEC. 1022. MILITARY CUSTODY FOR FOREIGN AL-QAEDA TERRORISTS.

(a) Custody Pending Disposition Under Law of War-

(1) IN GENERAL- Except as provided in paragraph (4), the Armed Forces of the United States shall hold a person described in paragraph (2) who is captured in the course of hostilities authorized by the Authorization for Use of Military Force (Public Law 107-40) in military custody pending disposition under the law of war.

(2) COVERED PERSONS- The requirement in paragraph (1) shall apply to any person whose detention is authorized under section 1021 who is determined--

(A) to be a member of, or part of, al-Qaeda or an associated force that acts in coordination with or pursuant to the direction of al-Qaeda; and

(B) to have participated in the course of planning or carrying out an attack or attempted attack against the United States or its coalition partners.

(3) DISPOSITION UNDER LAW OF WAR- For purposes of this subsection, the disposition of a person under the law of war has the meaning given in section 1021(c), except that no transfer otherwise described in paragraph (4) of that section shall be made unless consistent with the requirements of section 1028.

(4) WAIVER FOR NATIONAL SECURITY- The President may waive the requirement of paragraph (1) if the President submits to Congress a certification in writing that such a waiver is in the national security interests of the United States.

(b) Applicability to United States Citizens and Lawful Resident Aliens-

(1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS- The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to citizens of the United States.

(2) LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS- The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to a lawful resident alien of the United States on the basis of conduct taking place within the United States, except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States.

(c) Implementation Procedures-

(1) IN GENERAL- Not later than 60 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the President shall issue, and submit to Congress, procedures for implementing this section.

(2) ELEMENTS- The procedures for implementing this section shall include, but not be limited to, procedures as follows:

(A) Procedures designating the persons authorized to make determinations under subsection (a)(2) and the process by which such determinations are to be made.

(B) Procedures providing that the requirement for military custody under subsection (a)(1) does not require the interruption of ongoing surveillance or intelligence gathering with regard to persons not already in the custody or control of the United States.

(C) Procedures providing that a determination under subsection (a)(2) is not required to be implemented until after the conclusion of an interrogation which is ongoing at the time the determination is made and does not require the interruption of any such ongoing interrogation.

(D) Procedures providing that the requirement for military custody under subsection (a)(1) does not apply when intelligence, law enforcement, or other Government officials of the United States are granted access to an individual who remains in the custody of a third country.

(E) Procedures providing that a certification of national security interests under subsection (a)(4) may be granted for the purpose of transferring a covered person from a third country if such a transfer is in the interest of the United States and could not otherwise be accomplished.

(d) Authorities- Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect the existing criminal enforcement and national security authorities of the Federal Bureau of Investigation or any other domestic law enforcement agency with regard to a covered person, regardless whether such covered person is held in military custody.

(e) Effective Date- This section shall take effect on the date that is 60 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, and shall apply with respect to persons described in subsection (a)(2) who are taken into the custody or brought under the control of the United States on or after that effective date. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson