News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Pension Gap

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 03, 2012, 07:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/eadf8220-2cbf-11e1-b485-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1iRhejrIR

Short version: corproate pension plans in the US now face a cumulative gap of $450 billion - ie the present value of their pension obligations exceeds the funding of their plans by that amount.  This is a bigger gap than at the height of the financial crisis. Cause is falling interest rates and poor US stock market performance.  Neither of which looks particularly likely to change in 2012.

One company to look at is GM because except for a bit of haircut, the post-bankrupt company assumed most of the old pension obligations.  New GM is basically a giant hedge fund managing a big securities portfolio, with some automobile operations bolted on.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

:D

I bought in to the 'new' GM right after the IPO, and then sold the shares as fast as I possibly could at a $4/shr profit.  My brother is still holding on to them because he doesn't want to sell at a loss now. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on January 03, 2012, 07:50:49 PMMy brother is still holding on to them because he doesn't want to sell at a loss now. :sleep:

:wacko:

It's surprising how common a response that is, and it's financially suicidal.

Anyway, the world's governments will go 8 more trillion dollars in debt this year. All those assets have to go somewhere. Recapping pension funds sounds as good a place as any. Until the bonds implode that is.

Dumb pensions.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

And the Pension Benefit Guaranty Fund doesn't have the funds to cover the problems, but no one wants to do anything because that could bring down some companies or cause even more companies to drop their defined benefit plans. Hello another bailout.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 03, 2012, 07:57:05 PM
:wacko:

It's surprising how common a response that is, and it's financially suicidal.
He's relatively new to investing and thus is still making the greenhorn mistakes everyone has to make before they learn. :contract:

Anyway, I'm very proud of my mother in law for actually taking my advice (for once) and taking her pension from Yum!Brands as a lump sum payout.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

What discount rate is used to calculate those present values?  You can generate all kinds of pension disaster scenarios just by assuming a realistic rate of return.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on January 03, 2012, 08:02:23 PM
What discount rate is used to calculate those present values?  You can generate all kinds of pension disaster scenarios just by assuming a realistic rate of return.

From the article, I believe it reflects the discount rates actually employed by the companies for their own pension accounting purposes, which would suggest the gap may be understated.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 03, 2012, 08:06:08 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 03, 2012, 08:02:23 PM

From the article, I believe it reflects the discount rates actually employed by the companies for their own pension accounting purposes, which would suggest the gap may be understated.
Oh, shit.  :(

Strix

It is a sad state of affairs. Unfortunately the private sector can't do what state/federal government does i.e. raid the pension fund than make tax payers replenish it while increasing retirement age (to kill off a few).
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Ideologue

Quote from: Strix on January 03, 2012, 10:14:58 PM
It is a sad state of affairs. Unfortunately the private sector can't do what state/federal government does i.e. raid the pension fund than make tax payers replenish it while increasing retirement age (to kill off a few).

That's right.  That's why people who think the U.S. government should be run like a business or a household are capital-S Stupid.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

I blame the decline of private sector unions :(
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 04, 2012, 04:53:59 AM
I blame the decline of private sector unions :(

Pensions do not increase shareholder value.  That's all that matters.

Valmy

Ah well I am prepared to work until I die anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 03, 2012, 07:49:16 PM
One company to look at is GM because except for a bit of haircut, the post-bankrupt company assumed most of the old pension obligations.  New GM is basically a giant hedge fund managing a big securities portfolio, with some automobile operations bolted on.

I thought as part of the bailout the pension fund got handed over to the union.

PJL

Meanwhile there's an article on the BBC website effectively saying that public sector pensions in the UK are likely to be even better value than the private sector ones dispite the recent cuts, as the private sector is cutting theirs even faster....

Here's the article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16385381