News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lonely Planet Top 10 Destinations for 2012

Started by alfred russel, January 01, 2012, 08:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I like Lonely Planet's guides, but their destination lists are sometimes hilarious.

For example, the top 10 countries to visit in 2011 included Syria and Japan. In 2010, it included Greece.

So here is the link to the list this year.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/27/travel/top-destinations-2012/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

Time will tell which of these countries will be hit by revolutions, tsunamis, nuclear disasters, and/or financial meltdowns this year, but they put Orlando in the list.  :lol: And they specified it was for the city, not the theme parks. I'm imagining a lonely planet customer, still recovering from a holiday tear gassing in 2010 greece, and irradiated last year in Japan, flying into Orlando only to discover it has South Florida heat without the beaches or ocean breeze, mosquitos thicker than the gridlocked traffic, and with the type of Florida culture frequently featured on cops.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Burma?  :lol:

Atlantic Canada?  :lol: Enjoy the drunk newfies.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 01, 2012, 08:07:43 PM

I think they mean Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI, as Newfoundland is a fucking hole inhabited by retards and those places are much nicer looking.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Pippy Longstocking(or whatever that PEI character is) and Potatoes. Pass.

Admiral Yi

Pippi Longstocking is from Nova Scotia??  I thought she was Swedish or something.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 01, 2012, 08:36:25 PM
Pippi Longstocking is from Nova Scotia??  I thought she was Swedish or something.

(or whatever that PEI character is)

Sigh.

PRC

alfred russel

Yeah, those two jumped out--Burma is an early top contender to be the syria of 2012. I think they may have started with the question: where are the Olympics? and then just started throwing darts at a map.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Still, I'd rather go to Myanmar than Orlando.

CountDeMoney

My parents love to go camping up there.  Apparently, it's quiet.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on January 01, 2012, 08:49:59 PM
Still, I'd rather go to Myanmar than Orlando.

Only difference is Myanmar has less Asians.

Tonitrus

Didn't Hillary pay Myanmar a visit recently?

Doesn't that make them all cool and shit now?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 01, 2012, 09:01:58 PM

She was lecturing them.  Big difference.

Ed Anger

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 01, 2012, 09:01:58 PM

That is the reason given for putting them in the list.

I didn't single that one out because some people want to get off the beaten path--but I don't know if that is the off the path place I would pick.