And we're back!

Main Menu

WoW [General Discussion]

Started by Korea, March 12, 2009, 10:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Katmai will be playing until they take the servers down for good.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Caliga

Anything new and interesting since MoP launch?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Rex Francorum

Warlords Alpha?

Joking aside, MoP was a good expansion. Not the most epic story however (but it had some good moments like Kael'thas involvement).

Once I cleared Siege raid on flex difficulty, I got no interest to continue. I got fed up of the Timeless Isle as well. My 6 months subscription ended up almost a week ago. I will probably wait until Warlords launch of a bit after to re-sub.
To rent

Sophie Scholl

I still have yet to go through the majority of MoP content.  I generally run about an expansion behind, as I have an alt problem.  I did get invited into the Warlords of Draenor Beta tonight, so I'll probably be monkeying around with that, further limiting my MoP content exploration.  I have enjoyed what I've seen of it though.  I'm also hoping to run the Siege of Orgrimmar raid a few times before Warlord's launch to nab some of the goodies.  The Dark Shaman transmog set in particular looks amazing in my opinion.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Rex Francorum on June 26, 2014, 11:41:23 PM
Once I cleared Siege raid on flex difficulty, I got no interest to continue. I got fed up of the Timeless Isle as well. My 6 months subscription ended up almost a week ago. I will probably wait until Warlords launch of a bit after to re-sub.

Dang for a second I thought you said you went raiding with Siege.

Anyway glad to still see you around Rex :hug:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

I re subbed about 3 months ago, played for 2 months and got bored again.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Rex Francorum

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2014, 08:31:23 AM
Quote from: Rex Francorum on June 26, 2014, 11:41:23 PM

Dang for a second I thought you said you went raiding with Siege.

Anyway glad to still see you around Rex :hug:

Hey Valmy.  :hug:  :frog:
To rent

Liep

And Queequeg runs down to buy WoW.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Rex Francorum

*Cough*

Warlords of Draenor went live.

*Cough*
To rent

Syt

Every now and then I return to SWTOR when I feel like a bit of lightsabering. And Star Trek Online, though I reliably only mess with my crew's uniforms a bit (they have a new "futuristic" one that looks so much better and in line with the shows and movies than the original "Future leather/latex Trek" the game launched with), run three missions and then log off again.

I recently had a stint in Champions Online again which was ok. I have a lifetime sub for LotRO, but I never made it beyond Weather Top. Age of Conan was pretty decent after its updates, and I love the world and lore. EVE was interesting but is too much of a time sink, more so than other MMOs. I guess I could check how the Star Wars Galaxies Emu is coming along. And I've not checked into Guild Wars 2 in a long time.

My point being, I like the concept of MMOs (big world to explore with lots of stuff to do), but I like to solo a lot (because my game time is limited), and I usually hit a point where the grind becomes too much and I lose interest. SWTOR and STO are much more solo friendly (if SWTOR had a single player offline mode, it would likely be one of my most played games).

As to WoW, that breaking point was for me around level 40 with my warrior and priest (in the dim past of pre-expansion times), and of all the MMOs I tried, this was the one I didn't want to return to, though I couldn't say why.  :hmm:

I guess I will give Kingdoms of Amalur another shot at some point, because it is, essentially a single player MMO the way it's designed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

I quit when MoP came out, then came back last year. WoD is so far very enjoyable.

I really like the fact that Blizzard continues its great tradition of stealing good ideas from other MMORPGs, while keeping WoW the most polished MMORPG on the market. Some things added in the last few years or so:

- bag sorting;
- quest items take no bag space;
- collection tab for "toys" (vanity items), pets and mounts (and all account-wide shared) so they do not take up bag space;
- being able to craft "from bank";
- being able to mine, fish and herb everywhere irrespective of skill level (you just get more things the higher the level you have);
- the "Looking For Raid" thing (I have always been quite a casual player - thanks to this, I managed to do all raid content as a healer, dps, and tank in MoP - the "hard core" guys have higher levels of difficulty, like Heroic and Mythic instead);
- quest mobs/unique mobs not being "tappable" but increasing its strength/health etc., the more people attack it (irrespective of whether you are in a party or not);
- less static quests, more quests triggered by interaction with the environment (e.g. you kill a bear and a quest pops out telling you someone will reward you when you kill 10 bears);
- ability pruning, no "must-have" builds;
- gear with changing stats depending on talent spec (e.g. plate that switches from Int to Strength if your paladin changes spec from Holy to Protection);
- garrisons (sort of "player housing" but with a central role for questing, crafting etc.);
- new character models (human males now actually look HAWT).

I have now switched to alliance and have a worgen (protection) warrior, a draenei (holy) paladin, a human mage and a dwarf warlock.

Edit: Oh, and also, to lure new players, you get a free boost of one character to level 90 (i.e. the starting level for WoD) when you buy WoD, and can later buy more as a service in the game store (although it pays off to level the character to level 60 - which now takes a few days - as then you also get your professions leveled to the max). So no need to get through the old content first to get to the new content, if you do not feel like doing it all over again.

Sophie Scholl

Ugh.  These queue times are incredibly annoying.  Nothing says fun like consistent 2+ hour waits to play. :bleeding:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."