Brazil's economy overtake UK's

Started by Syt, December 30, 2011, 01:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: sbr on January 02, 2012, 08:57:04 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 02, 2012, 08:56:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 02, 2012, 07:56:59 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 01, 2012, 05:26:08 AM
So unless China crashes and burns soon we may have a new hegemon in a couple of decades.

Excellent.

But really the US passed the UK in the size of its economy decades before it replaced it as hegemon so it may not be as soon as you think.

So you the USA to carry on doing the 'heavy-lifting' and run itself into the ground, all while the Chinese builds up massive economic power to be ready to take over once the US is a spent force ?   :hmm:

I understand each word, but they don't seem to work together in that order.  :hmm:

Missed out a want as the third word.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 02, 2012, 08:59:05 PM
I find it difficult to define a hegemon by the amount of counterfeit watches, handbags and pharmaceuticals it produces.  You'll have to do better, mongers.

Money keep telling yourself that, but just look around you, who much of the stuff in your Condo has 'made in China' printed on it ? 

30 years ago just about the only thing you'd find with that on it would be some stuff inside particularly cheap Xmas crackers or those horrible small novelty playing cards that seemed to come via the Eastern Block.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on January 02, 2012, 09:03:42 PM
I find it difficult to define a hegemon by the amount of counterfeit watches, handbags and pharmaceuticals it produces.  You'll have to do better, mongers.

Money keep telling yourself that, but just look around you, who much of your stuff in your Condo has made in China stamped on it ? 

I have three telephones that say "Western Electric, Model 500" stamped on them.  BUILT TO MOTHERFUCKING LAST.
So fuck you.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 02, 2012, 09:13:55 PM
Money keep telling yourself that, but just look around you, who much of your stuff in your Condo has made in China stamped on it ? 
I have three telephones that say "Western Electric, Model 500" stamped on them.  BUILT TO MOTHERFUCKING LAST.
So fuck you.
I think he was referring to those girls you've got chained in your closet.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

No country that's outnumbered 500:1 in the only field that counts is likely to wield a true hegemonic power.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Cable channels? Craft beers? Breakfast cereals?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on January 02, 2012, 07:56:59 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 01, 2012, 05:26:08 AM
So unless China crashes and burns soon we may have a new hegemon in a couple of decades.

Excellent.

But really the US passed the UK in the size of its economy decades before it replaced it as hegemon so it may not be as soon as you think.

I agree with your comment but can't say that the thought is very cheery. Having to be hegemon with insufficient relative power is a recipe for even faster relative decline. The UK is still working through the consequences and exhaustion of that period of responsibility without sufficient power.

I would suggest that the EU could help to take up some of the burden and work as an equal partner with the US, but do not want to derail the thread into comedy territory.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on January 02, 2012, 08:56:05 PM
So you want the USA to carry on doing the 'heavy-lifting' and run itself into the ground, all the while the Chinese builds up massive economic power to be ready to take over once the US is a spent force ?   :hmm:

I thought the US should have stopped with the heavy lifting as soon as the Cold War ended.  I am stating I want somebody else to be the hegemon, but I doubt the Chinese passing us in economic size is going to magically accomplish that....unfortunately.

Heck why does there have to be a hegemon?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Money keep telling yourself that, but just look around you, who much of the stuff in your Condo has 'made in China' printed on it ? 

Well everything used to say 'Made in Taiwan' 'Made in South Korea' and 'Made in Japan'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 03, 2012, 03:11:15 AM
I would suggest that the EU could help to take up some of the burden and work as an equal partner with the US, but do not want to derail the thread into comedy territory.

If only we had some sort of alliance structure that could facilitate that.

Ed Anger

QuoteEU could help to take up some of the burden

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2012, 08:36:35 AM

If only we had some sort of alliance structure that could facilitate that.

:hmm:

Sheilbh

The trouble is the US has done too much and is simply overstretched.  It's not a case of someone stepping in, so much as no-one else really finding that breadth of deployment in their vital interest.  I don't think it's even in the US's interests. 

I'm not sure what 'heavy lifting' there is still to do.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2012, 08:31:54 AM
Heck why does there have to be a hegemon?

To ensure world peace.

(Guards, take this traitor away!  :menace:)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?