News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Brazil's economy overtake UK's

Started by Syt, December 30, 2011, 01:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJL

China to have a bigger GDP at market rates by 2018? Even I didn't think it would be that quick. Only 5 years ago the forecast for that was 2030 or so. Still seems a bit fast to me. Unless of course they're factoriing in a managed rise in the yuan-dollar rate.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 01, 2012, 05:26:08 AM
The Economist has a nice chart in this week's issue which runs a comparison on how the USA and China's economies compare :

http://www.economist.com/node/21542155

So unless China crashes and burns soon we may have a new hegemon in a couple of decades.

at which point al the anti-americans will have to change into anti-chinese... That should be fun.

Razgovory

I suspect the Chinese fudge their numbers a bit.  They still have a communist party after all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 01, 2012, 01:36:16 PM
The Economist has a nice chart in this week's issue which runs a comparison on how the USA and China's economies compare :

So unless China crashes and burns soon we may have a new hegemon in a couple of decades.
at which point al the anti-americans will have to change into anti-chinese... That should be fun.
Let's not be so sure.  After all, the Chinese aren't white.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on January 01, 2012, 01:38:37 PM
I suspect the Chinese fudge their numbers a bit.  They still have a communist party after all.

They've certainly done it in the past.  I have no reason to believe that they're going to overtake us that soon.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Well, we have strong reason to believe they aren't entirely truthful about military spending.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 01, 2012, 01:36:16 PM

I wouldnt be so sure. Britain still has more than its fair share of haters.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 30, 2011, 01:38:42 PM
I find it interesting the way this has been spun, in general, as somehow a bad thing for the UK.

You know what's a bad thing?  For the first time since Trafalger, the French Navy is larger than the Royal Navy.  THAT'S what you should be embarrassed about.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 02, 2012, 07:08:05 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 30, 2011, 01:38:42 PM
I find it interesting the way this has been spun, in general, as somehow a bad thing for the UK.

You know what's a bad thing?  For the first time since Trafalger, the French Navy is larger than the Royal Navy.  THAT'S what you should be embarrassed about.

Even that is not as bad as the saga of the aircraft carriers which will have no planes  :(

But, you are right, the countries we should compare ourselves to are France and Germany; we fell badly behind in the 1970s..........a reliable sign of underperformance.

Valmy

Excellent.

But really the US passed the UK in the size of its economy decades before it replaced it as hegemon so it may not be as soon as you think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on January 02, 2012, 07:56:59 PM

Excellent.

But really the US passed the UK in the size of its economy decades before it replaced it as hegemon so it may not be as soon as you think.

So you want the USA to carry on doing the 'heavy-lifting' and run itself into the ground, all the while the Chinese builds up massive economic power to be ready to take over once the US is a spent force ?   :hmm:

edit:
I can 'tdecide if what I posted applies to 2040-50 or to Nov 2012 depending how daft the US electorate is or to the Thursday after next if the Wall Street 'masters of the universe' continue on their ego trip ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

sbr

Quote from: mongers on January 02, 2012, 08:56:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 02, 2012, 07:56:59 PM

Excellent.

So you the USA to carry on doing the 'heavy-lifting' and run itself into the ground, all while the Chinese builds up massive economic power to be ready to take over once the US is a spent force ?   :hmm:

I understand each word, but they don't seem to work together in that order.  :hmm:

CountDeMoney

I find it difficult to define a hegemon by the amount of counterfeit watches, handbags and pharmaceuticals it produces.  You'll have to do better, mongers.