News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[AAR] No Retreat - Berkut vs. Tamas

Started by Tamas, December 30, 2011, 07:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

szmik

I've played about 6 turns solo to get the grasp of it. The game has great balance, as Axis you are on the verge of autovictory, but you lack armies to get this single lacking point in time. Maybe one should go with more, but less sure attacks and let die rolls decide?
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2012, 07:28:45 PM
Now this is an exciting game.

it actually is. Now Berkut has one turn to conquer Stalingrad (impossible due to deep snow and Soviet line of defense), or a lot of other cities to get enough VPs for his very last auto-victory check at the start of next turn.

Assuming he can't pull that off, he will need both Stalingrad and Sevastopol to auto-win, and keeping Moscow and Leningrad of course.

But that will be a much harder proposition than just stopping me from winning.

Because before you might think otherwise, this was the easier half of the Soviet game. Now comes the challenge of gaining as much VPs as the Germans did, before 1944 ends. And with Berkut's performance, that will take some effort. And that only warrants a continuation to '45. I can win an auto-victory a few times before that of course but again: it would be quite the achievement.
We will see. Berk can still pull of a trick and knock me out for good.

Tamas

Quote from: szmik on January 06, 2012, 10:22:14 AM
I've played about 6 turns solo to get the grasp of it. The game has great balance, as Axis you are on the verge of autovictory, but you lack armies to get this single lacking point in time. Maybe one should go with more, but less sure attacks and let die rolls decide?

I think the balance favors a full play until the end of '44 or '45. The Germans have a lot of chance at winning this by stopping a historical Soviet success, assuming they can perform well during their heydays. While a berserk style certainly has a shot at autovictory, a slow but steady flow of VPs until Turn 12 seems to be a perfectly viable strategy.

Drakken

Which version of the rules are you using? 2nd edition?

I'd be interested in playing it through Cyberboard and ACTS, after assimilating the rules.

Tamas

Quote from: Drakken on January 06, 2012, 10:27:35 AM
Which version of the rules are you using? 2nd edition?

I'd be interested in playing it through Cyberboard and ACTS, after assimilating the rules.

the latest living rules

Drakken

Got them. Seems rather similar to Paths of Glory, so I won't be that lost.

Berkut

The Germans have pulled out of Moscow. We did not think we could hold the city in the winter, and the risk of losing out best unit to encirclement was simply too great...now we shall see how the other side does on the offensive...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

szmik

Quote from: Drakken on January 06, 2012, 10:38:15 AM
Counterblow rule would work perfectly in PoG, no more silly corps cutting off supply.  <_<
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Tamas

TURN 11 JANUARY-FEBRUARY 1943

Not much happened this turn, the deep snow made sure there would be no chance for big advances despite Soviets gaining the ability of extra hex of armor advance the Germans have had since the outset.

Moscow was regained, but the scheduled utter failure of the attack north-west of it did not fail to happen.

Voronezh was also liberated but the mere retreat of the enemy army was a dissappointment considering the overwhelming odds it faced.

The iniative changed at the start of the next turn. Berkut achieved 23VPs, I have 12 at present. I missed the auto-victory mark by 4VPs. To be honest, the future auto-victory requirements can be made unreachable to me by Berkut assuming his defensive line will not break in a decisive way. So the most realistic goal is getting to and hopefully through the border by 1945, and win the game then.

Habbaku

Quote from: szmik on January 06, 2012, 11:46:41 AM
Quote from: Drakken on January 06, 2012, 10:38:15 AM
Counterblow rule would work perfectly in PoG, no more silly corps cutting off supply.  <_<

The only PoG players that let corps cut their units OOS are the bad PoG players.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

needless to say, Leningrad will be a huge pain in the ass. Seriously I am starting to think it is a bigger loss than Moscow. It gets perma-suppiled via the black sea, it has 2 column shifts when defending, so you need some major force-concentration against it, and you can't even stack until '45, and you need every unit to push push push anyway. Annoying.  :mad:

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on January 06, 2012, 12:55:27 PM
needless to say, Leningrad will be a huge pain in the ass. Seriously I am starting to think it is a bigger loss than Moscow. It gets perma-suppiled via the black sea, it has 2 column shifts when defending, so you need some major force-concentration against it, and you can't even stack until '45, and you need every unit to push push push anyway. Annoying.  :mad:

WTF?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Kleves

The Black Sea. You know, the sea over which Sweden sent all those ball bearings. Don't you know your own history?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on January 06, 2012, 05:02:35 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 06, 2012, 12:55:27 PM

WTF?

Ok so I did a typo, and I meant the Baltic Sea.

Insignificant sea is insignificant.

Tamas

TURN 12 MARCH-APRIL 1943

This was to be a turn of lull, with spring thaw mud setting in, but alas, Berkut drew a weather changer card and so winter snow stayed a while longer.

He continued to optimize his defensive line.

Which was a good decision, as I was helding my Major Offensive card, allowing me to draw 4 extra cards (doubling my handsize for the turn, basically), in exchance of having two initiate at least four voluntary attacks. It was playable in Clear or Snow weather only. So the lengthening of winter allowed an early start of what the Grand Marshal (me) called the Donets-Don Offensive.
With lost units replaced, the heroic defenders of the Union of Workers' Paradise set off to punch holes in the German lines along those two great rivers, while also the trench warfare near Moscow continued.

The map, before Berkut placing Counterblows: