And we're back!

Main Menu

[AAR] No Retreat - Berkut vs. Tamas

Started by Tamas, December 30, 2011, 07:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2012, 11:28:33 AM
Key points here:

1. If I can win the attack on the unit just to the east of Donnets, I can drive at Stalingrad, and force him to pull back from the Don as well. 3:1 attack, so should work most of the time!
2. If I can wun the battle at Stalino, I can cut off his shock and mech armies that he has over-extended chasing Romanians! And I have the cards to make it happen!
3. Taking Leningrad would be good as well, and I have the siege artillery card, so this is pretty good odds as well!

Shaping up to be a great turn.

Right up until the part where dice start rolling... :bleeding:

You couldn't have done point 2 unless you had the "advance an extra hex" card in your hand.  :hmm:
But luckily, not only Timoshenko rallied a bold counterattack, it actually succeeded!

I did lose Leningrad though. Huge blow, it will be a major pain in the ass to conquer it back.

Tamas

It is rumored that led by the freshly formed 5th Guard Tanks and the 1st Byelorussian Shock Army, a major Soviet offensive has been set in motion on both flanks of the besiegers of Moscow.
Will the Germans stop it in it's track? Will it succeed? Will it expose the Soviets for a German counterattack? Stay tuned.

Tamas

WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED?!!!! :ultra:

Berkut had the NERVES to play Panzerblitz after my movement, sent the 1st and 3rd Panzer corps next to my unit defending the road to Stalingrad, put a counterblow marker on it which due to horrible odds auto-converted to a counter-attack which I lost with my unit shattered ie. off from the map for a turn, so right now 1st Panzer is just next to Stalingrad, to where I railed a shock army from the Ukraine at the last moment.

That Panzer will be OOS next turn but attack is not penalized by not having access to munition and stuff, so he will have the time for an all-or-nothing attack, and since he has two objectives, Leningrad and Moscow, he wins the game if he gets Stalingrad as well.

Moscow you say? Moscow was Russian and heavily fortified! Well yes. Until my offensive kicked off, attacking his units north and south of the two-units stack facing Moscow. Predictably he put a counterblow marker on that stack, but it was ok, I expected so much. I attacked it with my Shock Army there, and the improved infantry in Moscow itself. Then came Herr Manstein and backhand blowed my ass right out of the city! :ultra:

I did capture Tula, woo-hoo-fuckily-doo!

Well done, Berk! You haven't won yet, but you are one battle away from it.

Berkut

However, the snows have set in, and poor 2nd Panzer is low on fuel and ammunition. Their odds of taking Stalingrad are poor.

So they have pulled back, noting that to take Stalingrad, one really does need Rostov.

So 3rd Panzer and 2nd Panzer, along with some help from our allies, have cut Roston and Stalino OOS. And there seems to be a lack of Soviet units around that can help them here in the snow...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

TURN 10 NOVEMBER-DECEMBER 1942

The pocket around Stalino wasn't perfect, so the unit there could flee to the entrance to Crimea, it's supply restored by the unit defending the Crimea linking up with it. The unit in Rostov was set to make a desperate attempt to break up, as a coordinated rescue effort was decided to be too risky at exposing Stalingrad to any German trickery.

The existence of any tricky cards in the German hand was also a question regarding Moscow - either there was a surprise there, or the Moscow garrison was fubared, as only a miracle result could save it from being cut off, as the remnant cadre unit defending one of it's flanks came under heavy Soviet attack.

Solmyr

Berkut

Oh crap, I forgot to move the minor allies when I re-did my move file. Well, that is probably a game losing mistake.

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on January 05, 2012, 08:26:58 AM
Oh crap, I forgot to move the minor allies when I re-did my move file. Well, that is probably a game losing mistake.

You didn't move the Romanians next to Odeassa, the rest moved according to the replay

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on January 05, 2012, 08:46:55 AM

You didn't move the Romanians next to Odeassa, the rest moved according to the replay

WEll duh, is it the Romanians next to Odessa who moved to block the escape of the unit in question.

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on January 05, 2012, 10:31:36 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 05, 2012, 08:46:55 AM

WEll duh, is it the Romanians next to Odessa who moved to block the escape of the unit in question.

go ahead and move it then.

Valmy

A show of good sportsmanship on the Eastern Front?  :o
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2012, 10:51:46 AM

Well, that is how we play in general.

The annoying thing is that I DID move the unit in question. But then when I was moving all the other units around to make my grand encirclement plan, I messed some up, and could not remember where they started from.

So I opened another instance of CB with the pre-move file, moved everyone back to their start spots, and redid the moved. And forgot to move that one unit. Which Tamas could actually confirm, since all those moves, moves back, and re-moves where in the CB file.

In any case, Tamas failed to break out, and the Germans played Hedgehogs, bravely sacrificing the Kampfgruppe outside Moscow to hold the attack in place, and keeping Moscow from being cut off. The situation there is dire though, and we may have to abandon Moscow anyway...if we even can, at this point.

0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

No kidding.  Tamas showing great restraint in resisting an opportunity to screw over Romanians.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 05, 2012, 12:00:28 PM

No kidding.  Tamas showing great restraint in resisting an opportunity to screw over Romanians.

:lol: indeed

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017