News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Freedom Of Speech In Your Country

Started by mongers, December 29, 2011, 06:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

What is the legal extent of freedom of speech in your country and how does it differ in its practice ?

What do you regard as acceptable and unacceptable in terms of free speech, and to what extent do you exercise the right in you own life and how tolerant are you of others engaging in freedom of expression ?

An example from the UK, an acquaintance of mine shouted out "no more war" at a remembrance ceremony and has subsequently charge with "  'use of threatening, abusive or insulting words/disorderly within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby CONTRARY TO SECTION 5 (1) AND (6) OF THE PUBLIC ORDER ACT 1986." 

I wouldn't have done this myself, but how would his act have been reacted to in your country ?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

I wonder if we can get those Westbury clowns to go to England where they can be locked up then.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

citizen k

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

There is no freedom of speech in the UK nowadays mongers.

As it happens, it does not yet impinge on me directly; I'm far too well-mannered to fall foul of the new laws; nevertheless they are disgraceful  :mad:

Admiral Yi

I wish all political hecklers would STFU.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 2011, 07:04:38 PM
I wish all political hecklers would STFU.

So you're only in favour of freedom of speech for politicians ?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on December 29, 2011, 07:08:38 PM
So you're only in favour of freedom of speech for politicians ?

I don't get how freedom of speech means you get to come in yell in my ear when I'm trying to hear what someone else is saying.

DGuller

Freedom of speech is very good over here.  Even corporations have it.

citizen k

Quote from: DGuller on December 29, 2011, 07:16:53 PM
Freedom of speech is very good over here.  Even corporations have it.

And Westboro Baptist.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on December 29, 2011, 07:51:55 PM
Wow.  Your acquaintance is a jerk.
Are you surprised that a guy whose full handle used to be "draftwarmongers" has a friend who would do that? :D
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on December 29, 2011, 08:29:02 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 29, 2011, 07:51:55 PM
Wow.  Your acquaintance is a jerk.
Are you surprised that a guy whose full handle used to be "draftwarmongers" has a friend who would do that? :D

Well to be fair I said acquaintance and more of the story is he was in parliament square when he said it, which is about 150 yards from the cenotaph where the ceremony was taking place.

Besides he's an quite a brave person, risking imprisonment in Turkey to mock the Turkish president, not someone you do lightly over there.

Ideologue

No more war?  What an asshole.  The kind of crypto-rightist who thinks it's fine and dandy that the PRC disappears people and that the DPRK exists.  Utter cunts.

My country gives me the freedom to call British people I don't know and will never meet "cunts."  It's pretty great. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

citizen k

Quote from: Ideologue on December 29, 2011, 09:37:46 PM
No more war?  What an asshole. 

No kidding. Humanity couldn't live without war. Think of all the great inventions born from war.