Replacing my desktop with a laptop

Started by Brazen, December 29, 2011, 11:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

OK, my giant Dell gaming PC with a box the size of an apartment is on its way out. I think I'm pretty much done with PC gaming, that having moved to the realm of the XBox. I'm considering replacing it with a laptop for home and work use. It basically needs to run the Office suite speedily and reliably, do fast web browsing and editing and the odd bit of Photoshop and multimedia. Obviously I'd like to play the odd DVD and run iTunes. This looks like a bloody good offer to me, with an i5 processor and 6Gb RAM at £150 off in the sales. Plus it's a cute colour! Will it do me or is there something I'm missing?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-g6-1244sa-15-6-laptop-blue-11361580-pdt.html

viper37

I personally find 15" to be too small.  I would go for 17" if it's your main PC now.  Or keep your old monitor for when you're at home.  And your keyboard, and your mouse.

And I'd go for 8gb of ram, not 6gb, but 6gb is still sufficient.

I've no idea if the price is decent or not, but the hardware is ok for your needs.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Brazen

Thanks! I was intending to use it with my existing monitor, keyboard and mouse anyhow. What about the fact the processor isn't dual core?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

While echoing viper's caveats, I say that looks fine.

That processor is dual core, though.  It has two cores with two hardware threads per core.

Brazen

Thanks! Got it, it really is a good spec for the price. Will gradually transfer data and functionality then do a complete re-install on the desktop, after which I expect it to behave like new. Ish.

Barrister

I'm still happy with my almost four years old Mac Pro, but I'm pretty much decided it'll be my last desktop.  In a few years I'll purchase a Mac Book Pro and just hook it up to a docking station when at home.  They've just become so powerful you're really losing very little when it even comes to gaming.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Brazen

I think I've finally broken the "whatever you need costs £1,000" meme.