The Lost Ships of Pharaonic Egypt and the Land of Punt

Started by jimmy olsen, December 28, 2011, 11:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on December 29, 2011, 08:14:30 AM
I wonder how far or where they went? Or if there's any possibility Egyptian sailors made it to South or Central America and spread the idea of Pyramid building there such as the Aztecs built.   :hmm:
IIRC there is some speculation that Egyptian merchant sailors made it as far as India; the Romans and Greeks definitely did.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on December 29, 2011, 08:34:14 PM
I wonder how far or where they went? Or if there's any possibility Egyptian sailors made it to South or Central America and spread the idea of Pyramid building there such as the Aztecs built.   :hmm:
IIRC there is some speculation that Egyptian merchant sailors made it as far as India; the Romans and Greeks definitely did.

That's not unlikely.  Some of the Greeks marched to India.  I suspect some Greek and Roman made it even further but records were likely lost.  Possibly as far as China.  The Greeks in particular were always interested in exploring just a little bit further.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on December 29, 2011, 08:51:22 PM

That's not unlikely.  Some of the Greeks marched to India.  I suspect some Greek and Roman made it even further but records were likely lost.  Possibly as far as China.  The Greeks in particular were always interested in exploring just a little bit further.
Romans made it to China if wikipedia is to be trusted.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

I think one of the stupid ideas Thor Hyerdahl had was that the egyptians sailed to the new world and shared their knowledge of pyramids.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

I think the theory may have explained the gap between the Egyptian's largest pyramids in the 3nd millenium BCE and the largest in the America's during the 1st millenium CE as a result of the length of the trip when using reed boats.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 29, 2011, 09:36:19 PM
I wonder how far or where they went? Or if there's any possibility Egyptian sailors made it to South or Central America and spread the idea of Pyramid building there such as the Aztecs built.   :hmm:

Isn't that the basis for the Imperial silk monopoly?
PDH!

Ideologue

The idea of pyramid building occurs naturally because it's the only way to make big-ass structures for a primitive people.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Yay! I figured out the copy and past on my iPad. Reese cups for everybody!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 29, 2011, 09:36:19 PM

"If"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on December 29, 2011, 10:17:14 PM
I think one of the stupid ideas Thor Hyerdahl had was that the egyptians sailed to the new world and shared their knowledge of pyramids.

Another idea that briefly gained traction: Egyptian mummies stuffed with Peruvian cocaine.

http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~legneref/botany/mummy.htm
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on December 30, 2011, 10:46:54 AM

Another idea that briefly gained traction: Egyptian mummies stuffed with Peruvian cocaine.

As you alluded to a while back, this as a lot more to do with the recreational habits of archaeology students than 'normal' discoveries in the field.   

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on December 30, 2011, 11:08:23 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 30, 2011, 10:46:54 AM

As you alluded to a while back, this as a lot more to do with the recreational habits of archaeology students than 'normal' discoveries in the field.   

:D

Hence "briefly".  ;)

I suspect it was similar to all those dollar bills with cocaine residue on 'em.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius