News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ben Nelson won't seek re-election in '12

Started by jimmy olsen, December 27, 2011, 06:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

If Kerrey runs the Dems have chance, if not it'll go GOP no matter who they nominate.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/27/9744407-ben-nelson-wont-seek-re-election-in-12

QuoteBen Nelson won't seek re-election in '12
By NBC's Mark Murray

First Read has confirmed, per a high-ranking Democratic source, that Nebraska Sen. Ben Nelson (D) will NOT seek re-election in 2012.

Due to some tough polling numbers for Nelson, Democrats already had a pretty good chance of losing this seat next year. But Nelson's decision not to seek re-election makes it harder to keep the seat in the red state of Nebraska.

*** UPDATE *** That is, if the Democrats can't find a top-notch recruit. The same high-ranking Democratic source tells NBC News that former Nebraska Sen. Bob Kerrey (D) is considering a run with Nelson's seat open.

And the source sends this shot at the conservative Nelson, who often voted with Republicans: "He will be the least missed member of the Democratic caucus next year."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Did you lose track of the other half dozen threads you've started about the impending GOP landslide?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 27, 2011, 06:25:46 PM
Did you lose track of the other half dozen threads you've started about the impending GOP landslide?
This is specific news that is new, it deserves its own thread.

As for a GOP landslide, that's assured in the Senate due to geography, but the House and the Presidency are up in the air.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zoupa

The Presidency is not really up in the air.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 27, 2011, 06:29:58 PM
This is specific news that is new, it deserves its own thread.

What is there to be said about Nelson's retirement specifically? The primary newsworthiness of this article, as even your comment states, is as a bullet point on the subject of how the Dems are going to have trouble keeping the Senate.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Not in the slightest.  Nor is Congress.  The GOP is finished.

Nelson may be gone, but this is your Trafalgar, bitches.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zoupa on December 27, 2011, 06:32:51 PM
Depending on how the economy goes in 2012, it's definitely up in the air.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 27, 2011, 07:33:50 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on December 27, 2011, 06:32:51 PM
Depending on how the economy goes in 2012, it's definitely up in the air.

The economy will continue to collapse but everyone knows whose fault it is.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on December 27, 2011, 07:48:11 PM
The economy will continue to collapse but everyone knows whose fault it is.
Bush's? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Actually, I don't blame any party for the recession itself.  I blame the GOP for the wholly inadequate measures used to combat it.  I blame Obama for not shifting leftward and leading instead of misevaluating his opponents utterly, but what are you gonna do?

Now I do blame Bush for making our obscenely low tax burden the new normal and then prosecuting two underfunded wars, leading to the huge debt that the GOPpies are now using as a political bludgeon for stupid people who think that government debt is in any wise the same as household debt.
Kinemalogue

DGuller

If Democrats had to lose someone in the Senate, I'm sure Bill Nelson would be at the top of their wish list.  Wasn't he the main "Blue Dog" who held out for a bribe when Democrats actually had the 60 votes to pass healthcare law?  Of course they still only had 4 votes in the chamber that matters, but that would come later.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 27, 2011, 06:25:46 PM

Furthermore who the fuck cares if the GOP wins a landslide?  They had control in from 2000 to 2006 and what did they do?  Disastrous bullshit mostly and they hardly look more competent now.

So why should I give a crap Tim?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

A GOP House/Senate with Mubarak Obama would be pretty interesting to watch.  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on December 27, 2011, 11:52:47 PM
A GOP House/Senate with Mubarak Obama would be pretty interesting to watch.  :hmm:
How so?  Maybe if Republicans were interested in cutting deals rather than doing their best to sabotage a Democrat's presidency, then something good could be ironed out in a compromise.  But we know this isn't really the situation right now, and won't be in the near future.