Would the World be a Better Place if the Central Powers Won the Great War?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 25, 2011, 11:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yes
7 (25.9%)
Yes, but only if they won a quick victory
7 (25.9%)
No
13 (48.1%)
Other - Elaborate
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I dunno.  How do they win?  It would probably be best if Archduke hadn't been assassinated, or failing that, the rest of the world stood back and said, "Yep, Serbia has gone to far", and let them get curb stomped by Austria-Hungary.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

This is the best of all possible worlds. Haven't you been listening to Dr. Pangloss?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on December 25, 2011, 11:23:54 PM
I dunno.  How do they win?  It would probably be best if Archduke hadn't been assassinated, or failing that, the rest of the world stood back and said, "Yep, Serbia has gone to far", and let them get curb stomped by Austria-Hungary.
There are plenty of ways the CP could have won, the war wasn't the lopsided affair that WWII was. What matters is how quick they win, the longer the war lasts the harsher the terms will be.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 25, 2011, 11:39:57 PM
There are plenty of ways the CP could have won, the war wasn't the lopsided affair that WWII was. What matters is how quick they win, the longer the war lasts the harsher the terms will be.

Plenty?  I suppose, if things had gone completely differently.  But then the answer would depend on what things exactly went completely differently.

And obviously the best possible outcome of WWI would have been for it to not have occured at all or for it to have been short.  If the Russians had run over the Germans in 1914 maybe it ends there...but the Russians didn't do that and I doubt were capable of it.  Which is exactly how I feel about a CP victory.  Knowing what I know now it does not seem likely given how things went.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Can German hackers release vast swarms of carrier pigeons creating an effective denial of service attack on the French Military causing it to collapse?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on December 25, 2011, 11:51:19 PM
Can German hackers release vast swarms of carrier pigeons creating an effective denial of service attack on the French Military causing it to collapse?
:lol:

No.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on December 25, 2011, 11:51:19 PM

:lmfao:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on December 26, 2011, 01:04:16 AM
Well then I can't think of any realistic way for the CP to win.
:mellow:

How much have you read about the war?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

The Brain

The question is a bit too wide to be interesting. I think a more interesting discussion is about the Versailles treaty, and how it could have been made to be better and/or how the victors could have implemented it competently. The main problem with the Entente victory as it happened is Versailles. It was the Caudine Forks all over again, in spite of the warnings of Livy and Machiavelli.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on December 26, 2011, 03:20:38 AM
The question is a bit too wide to be interesting. I think a more interesting discussion is about the Versailles treaty, and how it could have been made to be better and/or how the victors could have implemented it competently. The main problem with the Entente victory as it happened is Versailles. It was the Caudine Forks all over again, in spite of the warnings of Livy and Machiavelli.

Yes, the problem with the Entente victory was Versailles.

Ironically, I suggest you guys dig up a bit on the German Mitteleuropa plans they made during the war, preparing for their victory. They envisioned a Europe under economic dependency on Germany.  :lol:
So you can say that the only difference we ended up after two world wars and scores of dead is that the Balkans is not under the control of a single German puppet, and is instead a clusterfuck of epic proportions.
Oh, and we also ended up with 50 years of communism.