4 of 6 major candidates fail to qualify for the GOP Virginia primary

Started by jimmy olsen, December 24, 2011, 09:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Sounds like they placed the requirements a bit too high.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57348137-503544/gingrich-camp-assails-virginias-failed-system/
QuoteThe campaign of Newt Gingrich assailed a "failed system" for his failure to make it onto the ballot for the Virginia Republican primary.

The state GOP announced early Saturday morning that Gingrich's campaign had failed to submit the required number of signatures to qualify for the March 6 primary. On Friday it was announced that Texas Gov. Rick Perry had also failed to qualify.

Gingrich, Perry fail to make Va. Ballot

The state's election board requires candidates petitioning for inclusion in the primary to file 10,000 signatures from registered voters, including 400 from each of Virginia's 11 congressional districts.

It was reported Thursday that Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum and former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman were also off the ballot. So far, only former Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney and Texas Congressman Ron Paul are officially on the primary ballot.

On Saturday Newt 2012 released the following statement from Campaign Director Michael Krull:

"Only a failed system excludes four out of the six major candidates seeking access to the ballot. Voters deserve the right to vote for any top contender, especially leading candidates. We will work with the Republican Party of Virginia to pursue an aggressive write-in campaign to make sure that all the voters of Virginia are able to vote for the candidate of their choice."

They will have to get VERY aggressive: Under Virginia law (ยง 24.2-529), write-in votes are not allowed on ballots in primary elections.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

I have to admit, I find it a little amusing to see the Republicans' instinct to disenfranchise lead to such friendly fire incidents.

Valmy

This has never been a problem before hasn't it?  Did they change the law in Virginia?

And really Santorum and Bachmann were major candidates?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on December 24, 2011, 11:38:03 PM
This has never been a problem before hasn't it?  Did they change the law in Virginia?

And really Santorum and Bachmann were major candidates?

They are as much as Ron Paul is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 25, 2011, 12:45:32 AM

At least he has his shit in order.  Perry and Gringrich cannot even manage to get on a ballot.  Sure want one those dudes running the Executive Branch.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on December 25, 2011, 03:53:48 AM

At least he has his shit in order.  Perry and Gringrich cannot even manage to get on a ballot.  Sure want one those dudes running the Executive Branch.

Gingrich probably couldn't make it as he was fucking someone else's wife and Perry forgot one out of three things he had to do to register.

Winkelried

Quote from: Martinus on December 25, 2011, 05:35:59 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 25, 2011, 03:53:48 AM

Gingrich probably couldn't make it as he was fucking someone else's wife and Perry forgot one out of three things he had to do to register.

Oops.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on December 24, 2011, 09:41:03 PM
I have to admit, I find it a little amusing to see the Republicans' instinct to disenfranchise lead to such friendly fire incidents.

No shit.  And with Cain dropping out, the Virginia GOP doesn't have to explain how they weren't going to allow a nigger on the ballot no matter how many signatures he had who does he think he is anyway and with all those white women that's just asking for trouble round these parts.

alfred russel

If they were aiming to keep the no chance and/or crazy candidates off the ballot, I don't think they overshot the mark at all, and were probably too lax with the standards.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

Indeed.  If Ron Paul makes it on the ballot, you've got problems.

Mind you, I guess he's really popular with highly-motivated lunatics.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

The Virginia GOP has traditionally caucused for their candidates, and is uninterested in making primary elections work well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Fate

From what I've read these requirements are a matter of state law (not the GOP), and that they've been in force since the 2000 election. If people like Alan Keyes were able to get on the Virginia ballot successfully under this law, then that really speaks ill of the organizational power of Perry and Gingrich.

Eddie Teach

Well, Gingrich has only been a serious candidate for a month or two and Perry was only ever one on paper.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: grumbler on December 25, 2011, 09:35:40 PM
The Virginia GOP has traditionally caucused for their candidates, and is uninterested in making primary elections work well.

Yeah, but from my understanding a lot of that dates back to the time when the south (including Virginia) was soldily Democratic, and there weren't really enough Republicans in the state to bother with a primary. 

IIRC, when I lived in Virginia, the Republican Party was still leary of holding primaries because one (or two?) of the congressional districts were still so heavily Democratic that there might be problems with there being enough Republicans there to allow more than a very few candidates to get 400 signatures in that(those) district(s).  I don't know if that's the problem with the situation now, or just a major screw-up by the Gingrich and Perry campaigns.

Viking

Quote from: dps on December 26, 2011, 01:31:49 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 25, 2011, 09:35:40 PM

Yeah, but from my understanding a lot of that dates back to the time when the south (including Virginia) was soldily Democratic, and there weren't really enough Republicans in the state to bother with a primary. 

IIRC, when I lived in Virginia, the Republican Party was still leary of holding primaries because one (or two?) of the congressional districts were still so heavily Democratic that there might be problems with there being enough Republicans there to allow more than a very few candidates to get 400 signatures in that(those) district(s).  I don't know if that's the problem with the situation now, or just a major screw-up by the Gingrich and Perry campaigns.

Gerrymandering FTL. Just imagine the democrats letting themselves get gerrymandered with one district with fewer than 400 republicans.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.