French lawmakers pass genocide law on Armenians

Started by jimmy olsen, December 22, 2011, 08:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Martinus on December 22, 2011, 08:52:04 AM
There are already laws like this in most of Europe when it comes to Holocaust, so not sure why it is so strange to pass some laws when it comes to other genocidal murders of a comparable magnitude. Plus this is obviously a political move before the upcoming presidential elections to fuck with the muslims/Turks as this is the general sentiment in France right now. Nothing to see here really. You Americans are funny when you get all excited about stuff like this.

You Poles are funny when your President decides to slam his plane into the ground in Russia.

Or when you fail to have a first world economy. Or when you have gay-bashing parades in Warsaw.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2011, 11:28:53 AM
Putting the Japanese in camps during WWII is "Doing something really, really shitty to people".  I rather think that the Vendee goes a bit beyond that.  If we can count what the Soviets did as genoicide (as the case is often made), then we should consider the Vendee a genocide as well.

Yeah I don't.  I see no evidence the effort was to exterminate the people of Vendee.  It was to 'pacify' them.  Again it was a war, lots of people got killed on both sides.  And if the Japanese Americans had risen up with a partisan army to support the Japanese Empire the way they people of Vendee rose up to support the Royalists I think you would have seen something similar here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PDH on December 22, 2011, 12:20:58 PM
For the record, I like edgy and angry Mihali

You might be singing a different tune if you had ever been the target of his furor hebraicus.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 22, 2011, 12:05:03 PM
And if the Japanese Americans had risen up with a partisan army to support the Japanese Empire the way they people of Vendee rose up to support the Royalists I think you would have seen something similar here.

What if they rose up to protest the conditions they were forced into?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 22, 2011, 12:22:37 PM
Quote from: PDH on December 22, 2011, 12:20:58 PM
For the record, I like edgy and angry Mihali

You might be singing a different tune if you had ever been the target of his furor hebraicus.

:blush:  I'm trying to be more mellow.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 22, 2011, 01:10:15 PM
  :blush:  I'm trying to be more mellow.

:thumbsup:

But Peedy says he likes it.  You should go all Maccabee on him.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on December 22, 2011, 12:45:26 PM
What if they rose up to protest the conditions they were forced into?

They certainly could have, if there were more of them and they were more concentrated.  But even if they had I doubt it would have been with the symbols of the Japanese Empire, whie the Vendee was using explicitely pro-Royal symbols.

That was rather unfortunate because in the actual event Vendee was not very friendly to the coalition either IIRC it was more against the anti-clerical actions by the Republic than really pro-Bourbon but it was enough to freak the central government out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 22, 2011, 01:16:31 PM
But Peedy says he likes it.  You should go all Maccabee on him.

It's the reason for the season!

Zoupa

These laws are indeed a bit ridiculous. This one in particular smacks of electioneering.

On the other hand, I like Armenians and dislike the Turk, so fuck them.  :)

"We're recalling our ambassador!"

Oh noes.

HVC

Quote from: Zoupa on December 22, 2011, 01:29:33 PM
The only Armenians i "know" are the Kardasians... so, yeah, i hope they all burn.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: HVC on December 22, 2011, 01:30:42 PM
The only Armenians i "know" are the Kardasians... so, yeah, i hope they all burn.

There's also this moderately well known Armenian band
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on December 22, 2011, 01:30:42 PM

What about System of a Down?

Edit: Syt'ed.

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 22, 2011, 10:47:23 AM
The concept of genocide seems to have weakened in recent decades. When I was a kid it was more or less restricted to the Nazis and their attempt to exterminate the Jews. At that time nobody seemed to be in denial at all (in British circles) that the Armenian Massacres (as they were known) or the destruction of the Tasmanians were appalling events, but that both these instances (and many others) were tacitly deemed to lack the purposefulness and 100% nature of the Nazi effort.

The concept was invented to describe what happened to the Armenians!  :D

I am probably a bit more sensitive than most to this concept, given that, growing up, my best friend was of Armenian extraction, and I had many meals at his house, in which his grandmother, a survivor of the Armenian Genocide, would describe what happened.  Armen's family was certainly not in support of the then-somewhat-popular leftist description of the event as "the Armenian Holocaust," though - for the very reason you note.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!