Main Menu

Banana wars

Started by viper37, December 21, 2011, 11:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Madness?  This is Chiquita!!!

Boycott Chiquita Bananas over its oilsands stance

Neil will never eat a banana again. :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

there are other banana barons out there. neil shall survive.

also, every time i hear about this story i get the damn Brazillian chiquita banana song stuck in my head.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Seriously, Chiquita stands up for something? :lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Organized by a "pro tar-sands advocacy group" called Ethical Oil?  :lmfao:

viper37

yes, I tought all of this funny given the protagonists and their ... unusual stance. :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maximus

Quote from: Jacob on December 21, 2011, 12:04:39 PM
Is there something unethical about the tar sands?

viper37

Quote from: Maximus on December 21, 2011, 03:46:52 PM
increased pollution, environmental damages, government subsidies, oligopolistic practices from oil companies exploiting the fields, the way the same companies act when outside of Canada, etc, etc.

Maximus

None of which is all that different from oil production elsewhere.

viper37

Quote from: Maximus on December 21, 2011, 04:03:09 PM
probably.  Wich is why "ethical oil" is silly.  It's no more ethical than anywhere else.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on December 21, 2011, 04:14:00 PM
Quote from: Maximus on December 21, 2011, 04:03:09 PM
probably.  Wich is why "ethical oil" is silly.  It's no more ethical than anywhere else.
It's a round about way of saying non-arab oil. I know they got some ads pulled becasue they were saying that by buying arab oil you were killing women and freedom fighters.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on December 21, 2011, 04:30:26 PM
It's a round about way of say non-arab oil. I know they got some adds pulled becasue they were saying that by buying arab oil you were killing women and freedom fighters.

Well I guess that is sorta true if you buy Saudi oil.  But the Saudi's are our buddies so why do we care if good guys are killing women and freedom fighters?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Depends on your ethics I suppose. I don't have a particular beef with tar sands oil, but "Ethical Oil" is still funny for an industry astroturf group.

lustindarkness

The title of this thread reminds me of Cien Años de Soledad (One Hundred Years of Solitude) by Gabriel García Márquez.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Maximus

Quote from: HVC on December 21, 2011, 04:30:26 PMIt's a round about way of saying non-arab oil. I know they got some ads pulled becasue they were saying that by buying arab oil you were killing women and freedom fighters.
It's more than that. No one is being killed or otherwise oppressed for tarsands oil. In leftist speak it's blood-free oil.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on December 21, 2011, 03:55:23 PM
increased pollution, environmental damages, government subsidies, oligopolistic practices from oil companies exploiting the fields, the way the same companies act when outside of Canada, etc, etc.
It's still more ethical than Quebec's hydropower.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.