News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best 19th-century fiction?

Started by merithyn, December 14, 2011, 12:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on December 15, 2011, 10:32:45 AM
Meh.  The great Arabic poets are still great in translation.  Why does that not apply to the Koran?
I think translators are perhaps a bit prissier because they're translating a holy text not a poem - this happens with other scripture translations in my view, such as the Ramayana.  It's great because of the story I think it'd be better if someone translated it for the story.

In addition the Koran is an oral book, really.  From what I can tell it's not a book for silent read so much as reciting.  Again my understanding is that it's what it does to Arabic and how it plays with the language out-loud that makes it special.  There's always something lost when an oral tradition's written down.

As I say there's enough writers who are Arabic speakers and religious or not who say the Koran is remarkable as a work of literature for me to believe it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 15, 2011, 12:40:12 PM
As I say there's enough writers who are Arabic speakers and religious or not who say the Koran is remarkable as a work of literature for me to believe it.

It is so central to the cultural pride and prestige of Arabic and Arabs in general excuse me for being a bit skeptical about their objectivity.  American rave about the genius of our Constitution as well.

Besides everybody knows Persian is superior for poetry  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

It doesn't remind me of poetry. It reminds me of a collection of sermons. :zzz
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 15, 2011, 12:40:12 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 15, 2011, 10:32:45 AM
Meh.  The great Arabic poets are still great in translation.  Why does that not apply to the Koran?
I think translators are perhaps a bit prissier because they're translating a holy text not a poem - this happens with other scripture translations in my view, such as the Ramayana.  It's great because of the story I think it'd be better if someone translated it for the story.

In addition the Koran is an oral book, really.  From what I can tell it's not a book for silent read so much as reciting.  Again my understanding is that it's what it does to Arabic and how it plays with the language out-loud that makes it special.  There's always something lost when an oral tradition's written down.

Ovid agrees.

mongers

On the subject of Dickens:

Charles Dickens: Six things he gave the modern world

With the 200th birthday of Charles Dickens quickly approaching, and an entire series of events planned, what is the lasting legacy of his work and his causes?

Charles Dickens is one of the most important writers of the 19th Century. But his influence goes far beyond just literature. Many of his phrases, characters and ideas have engrained themselves in modern culture.

Two centuries on, what are the things still seen today that Dickens first offered us in his writing?

rest of article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/magazine-16184487
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Meri, you might also like Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome. First of all it is rather funny. Secondly, it is a surprisingly modern book as the three men are normal middle class blokes with jobs and a bit of spare cash..........ie they are just like us. When I was younger I thought it was pretty lightweight stuff, but I really enjoyed a recent reread.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ender

Quote from: merithyn on December 14, 2011, 12:18:26 PM
I'm looking for good books to read published on or before 1910.

Suggestions?

Salgary, hands down.

Ender

Lovecraft? No, he published later in the 20th century.

Habbaku

Quote from: Ender on December 21, 2011, 10:46:07 PM

Suggestions?

Salgary, hands down.

Things that you make up don't count.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ender

Quote from: Habbaku on December 21, 2011, 10:52:00 PM
Quote from: Ender on December 21, 2011, 10:46:07 PM

Suggestions?

Salgary, hands down.

Things that you make up don't count.

Emilio Salgari, italian writter, 1862-1911.
Sandokan, Il Corsaro Nero (The Black Corsair), Capitan Tempesta (Captain Storm), etc.