News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Leave for a bit and look what happens...

Started by merithyn, April 29, 2009, 10:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korea

Quote from: merithyn on April 29, 2009, 11:04:27 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 29, 2009, 10:53:51 PM

As i can only imagine, with the version he has does that mean the rest of kids need to be checked?

It's not genetic. It's actually believed to be caused by a virus that jumpstarts the autoimmune system which then attacks the pancreas. There are usually clusters of new incidents, and there have been five or six new cases in the last couple of months around here.

He's been fighting the disease for months, but it wasn't until he totally crashed that it was found. He dropped 20 pounds in two weeks - going from 5'9" 118 pounds to 5'9" 95 pounds. Luckily, he's back up to a "healthy" 102, and still gaining.

Now we just take it day by day and do a whole lot of reading to make sure we're doing it right. It's scary, I can tell you. He's only 13, after all. That's a very long life sentence.

I'm not sure what is going on but I wish you the best and all the luck in the world. :hug:

I wish you posted here more so Languish would be interesting again and not a total sausage fest.
I want my mother fucking points!

katmai

Quote from: Korea on April 29, 2009, 11:18:59 PM

I wish you posted here more so Languish would be interesting again and not a total sausage fest.

I've talked to hunter you love the sausage fests!

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Korea

Quote from: katmai on April 29, 2009, 11:19:42 PM

I've talked to hunter you love the sausage fests!

:lol:
Not the languish sausages though! :X

merithyn

I'm not sure what is going on but I wish you the best and all the luck in the world. :hug:

Korea! :hug:

Jeremy was diagnosed with Type I diabetes on Monday. It's the kind that can't be corrected with diet and exercise - he'll always be required to take four shots of insulin every day for the rest of his life.

And so long as you're here it can't possibly be a total sausage fest! Besides, I know Brazen is still around, and despite her monumentally large balls, she's got no sausage.  :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Korea

Quote from: merithyn on April 29, 2009, 11:30:40 PM

Korea! :hug:

Jeremy was diagnosed with Type I diabetes on Monday. It's the kind that can't be corrected with diet and exercise - he'll always be required to take four shots of insulin every day for the rest of his life.

Oh no! :o I'm so sorry to hear that. That really blows man. Do you have diabetes? I thought that was genetic or something. :unsure:

Quote from: merithyn
And so long as you're here it can't possibly be a total sausage fest! Besides, I know Brazen is still around, and despite her monumentally large balls, she's got no sausage.  :D

Alright, true enough!  :lol:

merithyn

Quote from: Korea on April 29, 2009, 11:38:21 PM
Oh no! :o I'm so sorry to hear that. That really blows man. Do you have diabetes? I thought that was genetic or something. :unsure:

That's Type II, the fixable kind.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

It's not genetic. It's actually believed to be caused by a virus that jumpstarts the autoimmune system which then attacks the pancreas. There are usually clusters of new incidents, and there have been five or six new cases in the last couple of months around here.

He's been fighting the disease for months, but it wasn't until he totally crashed that it was found. He dropped 20 pounds in two weeks - going from 5'9" 118 pounds to 5'9" 95 pounds. Luckily, he's back up to a "healthy" 102, and still gaining.

It would have been more interesting if his weight had stayed the same but he had shrunk to 4'1".

Anyway, welcome back.

Richard Hakluyt

Welcome back meri  :hug:

Sorry to hear about your lad's diabetes. At least it is treatable and things should be better now you know what it is.

Martinus

Iormlund

It may be the optimist in me but I very much doubt it is going to be a life sentence for the kid. I'm convinced that my own illness (also autoimmune and chronic) will be neutered within at most 10 years. We'll just have to cope until then - and it gets surprisingly easy.

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on April 29, 2009, 10:53:51 PM

As i can only imagine, with the version he has does that mean the rest of kids need to be checked?

Now we just take it day by day and do a whole lot of reading to make sure we're doing it right. It's scary, I can tell you. He's only 13, after all. That's a very long life sentence.
I'm sorry to hear that Merri. Good luck to him and your family. :)

Pedrito

Welcome back Meri, and good luck to all of you  :hug:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Brazen

Meri! :hug:

Sorry to hear about Jeremy. Sure he'll be fine now it's been detected and is being managed :console:

Big Balls Brazen

merithyn