News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Leave for a bit and look what happens...

Started by merithyn, April 29, 2009, 10:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on April 29, 2009, 11:39:35 PM
Quote from: Korea on April 29, 2009, 11:38:21 PM
Oh no! :o I'm so sorry to hear that. That really blows man. Do you have diabetes? I thought that was genetic or something. :unsure:

That's Type II, the fixable kind.
I'm pretty sure that's not right.  Type I is the type to which you're genetically predisposed.  Type I diabetes runs in one of the branches of my extended family.

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on April 30, 2009, 03:03:17 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 29, 2009, 11:39:35 PM
Quote from: Korea on April 29, 2009, 11:38:21 PM
Oh no! :o I'm so sorry to hear that. That really blows man. Do you have diabetes? I thought that was genetic or something. :unsure:

That's Type II, the fixable kind.
I'm pretty sure that's not right.  Type I is the type to which you're genetically predisposed.  Type I diabetes runs in one of the branches of my extended family.
The cause is in dispute.  Either way, genetic factors alone do not cause Type I diabetes.  They did a study with identical twins where one twin had Type I diabetes.  The other only had Type I about half the time.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on April 30, 2009, 03:03:17 PM

According to the American Diabetics Association, there is a genetic componant to both, but a much stronger one in Type II. Part of that is learning bad habits - which contributes to getting Type II but not Type I - and part of that is simple genetics.

http://www.diabetes.org/genetics.jsp

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on April 30, 2009, 03:08:26 PM
The cause is in dispute.  Either way, genetic factors alone do not cause Type I diabetes.  They did a study with identical twins where one twin had Type I diabetes.  The other only had Type I about half the time.
Hence "predisposed".

merithyn

Right. Doctors think that Type I diabetes is similar to Autism in that there's a genetic pre-disposition for it, but there must be a trigger for it to kick in. No one knows the trigger - though Jeremy's doctors think it's a virus, as I said earlier - but there is no way to prevent it as yet. Type II, on the other hand, the trigger is typically poor health, which can be controlled with exercise and diet prior to actually getting the disease.

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on April 30, 2009, 03:13:36 PM
Hence "predisposed".
Indeed.

Your family is also predisposed to Slavitude.  :(
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

:hug:

Now you must train him to pronounce it properly, Meri.

"die-uh-BEET-is". :smarty:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Korea

Quote from: merithyn on April 30, 2009, 08:15:26 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on April 30, 2009, 01:40:14 AM
It may be the optimist in me but I very much doubt it is going to be a life sentence for the kid. I'm convinced that my own illness (also autoimmune and chronic) will be neutered within at most 10 years. We'll just have to cope until then - and it gets surprisingly easy.

Jeremy has said the same thing, and I hope that you're both right. It would be a godsend for the cure to come that quickly.

So, how is the rest of your life going?  Are you still working as a dispatcher? I miss your dispatching stories. How are the other kids?
I want my mother fucking points!

saskganesh

Quote from: merithyn on April 30, 2009, 03:14:04 PM

Type II, on the other hand, the trigger is typically poor health, which can be controlled with exercise and diet prior to actually getting the disease.

high fructose corn syrup and bad carbs, also predictors for obesity.

cut out the soft drinks, junk food and play some sports.
humans were created in their own image

PDH

Quote from: Caliga on May 01, 2009, 07:45:33 AM

"I got the problem with The Sugar" as I heard it in Western PA...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Richard Hakluyt

"The sugar" is what the old folk called it in NE England when I was a kid.

merithyn

Quote from: saskganesh on May 01, 2009, 10:09:09 AM
high fructose corn syrup and bad carbs, also predictors for obesity.

cut out the soft drinks, junk food and play some sports.

He's got Type I. :contract:

Though he's had to cut out the soft drinks and junk food now that he has it, they're not what caused his diabetes.

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on May 01, 2009, 07:45:33 AM

:lol:

The kids have been making fun of Wilfurd Brimley forever for that commercial! They've been calling it that for years as a joke. :D