News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars The Old Republic Roll Call

Started by Berkut, December 20, 2011, 09:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Btw, for those only interested in the class stories - till Fall the XP system is adjusted, so that you can get to max level even if you just do your class quests. I've started an agent and, with doing sidequests, I was level 16 when I left the first planet (normally 10 or 11) - though I also used some of those useless cartel coins I still have to give an additional XP bonus on class quests.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2015, 08:36:42 AM
Btw, for those only interested in the class stories - till Fall the XP system is adjusted, so that you can get to max level even if you just do your class quests. I've started an agent and, with doing sidequests, I was level 16 when I left the first planet (normally 10 or 11) - though I also used some of those useless cartel coins I still have to give an additional XP bonus on class quests.

Turns out it's even more boring when you're overpowered but still have to fight through groups of mobs. On the other hand, you can finish a planet really quick, but will soon lack level appropriate equipment.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

I just take the commendation awards and use those to keep gear that is up to date with me. Playing a Consular and Smuggler atm.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Playing an Agent. It's not the most interesting story so far (just arrived on Tatooine).
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I just finished a Kotor 2 playthrough and it has wetted my appetite for this setting. Is the game still alive and kicking? Does it follow/refer to the Kotor storylines?

I haven't played an MMO since I quit WOW 5 years ago, mind.

Syt

It has references to the first game (there's a Revan themed expansion, too). It takes place 200 years after KotOR 1/2, IIRC.

If you played WoW you will feel at home, I think. And just playing the solo quests will keep you busy for a while. Each of the 8 classes has its own story line, and each planet has a planet story line. Additionally, there's plenty side quests, plus dungeons flashpoints, some (optional) space shooting (either as rail shooter or PVP) etc.

I have to say I play it despite its mechanics (which, as said, is pretty much like in WoW, and quests are your usual "Go to point X and kill/collect/interact", but all voice acted, with some moral decisions). Also, each class gets its own set of companions (a glorified pet, if you played a hunter in WoW) you can interact with.

I find the combat a bit grindy in higher level, and I'm glad they removed quite a few time sinks (speeder available sooner, can use teleport to waypoints more often ...). On the plus side, it's a very solo-friendly game if you don't mind missing out on the group content (some of it is pretty decent) - though in a lot of cases you can come back later and solo it when you're overpowered, if you want to know the story. The game is also pretty big on lore in general.

I haven't finished all class quests yet - I finished the Sith Warrior at launch which was good fun, and I got Smuggler and Sith Inquisitor to the late stages.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Speaking of which, I finished reading the tie in novel Fatal Alliance. It won't win any awards, but it was a decent enough piece of action fluff, with an ok mystery at its center that allowed all in game classes to make an appearance and act as protagonists and enter a Fatal Alliance (duh), and I was surprised by the high amount of female characters (the trooper, the bounty hunter, the Sith warrior, the senior Jedi, plus side characters), with only a small hint at romance. Definitely passed the Bechdel test.

Now reading Deceit which starts out with Darth Malgus's sacking of the Jedi Temple which was prominently featured in the SWTOR pre-release trailers.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Will give it a go when I come back from holidays then, since it's F2P anyway. I'm mostly worried about the time-sink element, WOW scarred me for life on that regard.

I loved the Kotor games, so if the lore's good, at the very least I'll have a decent time.

Syt

Btw, if you're looking for more Old Republic, celedhring, Marvel Unlimited ($9.99/month) recently added the Tales of the Jedi series which was the inspiration for the Old Republic games (though the comics have a more "ancient" look to them when it comes to planets, ships etc.). But if yo want to read up on the original Sith Empire, the Great Hyperspace War or Nomi Sunrider, Ulic Qel-Droma, and Exar Kun, this has got you covered. You'll also get to meet Ludo Kressh and Naga Sadow and get some background on Onderon.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I do own the Tales of the Jedi comics, I love them and the whole "ancient" look. It's a cool mix of sci-fi and sword and sorcery tales.

I just downloaded and installed this. Do Languish people still play this? On which server?

viper37

Quote from: Syt on August 24, 2015, 12:47:48 PM
Btw, if you're looking for more Old Republic, celedhring, Marvel Unlimited ($9.99/month) recently added the Tales of the Jedi series which was the inspiration for the Old Republic games (though the comics have a more "ancient" look to them when it comes to planets, ships etc.). But if yo want to read up on the original Sith Empire, the Great Hyperspace War or Nomi Sunrider, Ulic Qel-Droma, and Exar Kun, this has got you covered. You'll also get to meet Ludo Kressh and Naga Sadow and get some background on Onderon.
or you could go to Wookiepedia and read about it for free :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on September 06, 2015, 04:15:46 PM
I do own the Tales of the Jedi comics, I love them and the whole "ancient" look. It's a cool mix of sci-fi and sword and sorcery tales.

I just downloaded and installed this. Do Languish people still play this? On which server?

I'm on the RP-PvE server in Europe (whatever it's called). I'm currently burned out on it again; but especially on the starting planets on the RP server you will usually find helpful people who will explain/help with things. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Made a Jedi Knight (duh) in The Red Eclipse, which is the most populated European server. So far I'm still in the newbie area and it just feels like WoW with a Star Wars skin, but a couple friends that played it tell me that it gets better once you leave the tutorial areas.

Mulling doing a Sith character and seeing that side of things too.

Syt

Haven't finished a Jedi Knight, but my understanding is that it's fairly standard fare, story wise. I enjoyed my Sith Warrior a lot when the game was new. I've played Agent, Smuggler and Inquisitor into the 40s, and I thought the Agent story was best of those. Trooper seems very cool, too (and you can have the voice of FemShep from Mass Effect if you play as female ;) ).
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Reached level 10 yesterday and went to what I guess is the main hub for my faction (The Republic Fleet). I felt a bit dizzied by the 20000000000000000 different reward vendors, tied to different PvE/PvP activities. That's what happens when you join an MMO so late in the cycle I guess. I tried a space battle and it was fun, although I can see it getting stale quick.

For now I'll ignore all those side things and just go along with the main story. Will try to run my first Flashpoint tonight.