News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I wonder what the vast majority of the Libertarian movement is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2012, 02:11:57 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 10, 2012, 12:26:06 PM
You're right. I think it's just that the selfish strain of American libertarianism seem more vociferous right now... actually, not even that, but that ideological selfishness is using the language of liberty to justify their positions. I don't want to get into a "no true libertarian scotsman" situation. Sufficeth to say, I have high respect for the principle of freedom as espoused, and often enacted, by the American people at their best.

Okay.  Maybe you were talking about the American Libertarian Party, which I agree seems mostly motivated by personal gain than principle.  That's a tiny, tiny sliver of the libertarian movement in the US, though.  I have never met one, myself.

I was mostly speaking from my impression, haphazardly gathered from the internet and various media sources. I will happily concede that my impression of American libertarianism may be vastly off-base :)

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on April 10, 2012, 12:46:55 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2012, 12:32:13 PMI think we've also established that Canadian Conservatism is different from US Conservatism.

US Conservatism is a unique thing for sure....
US Conservatism is neither united, nor statist, nor conservative.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Yeah.

What I thought was interesting:

QuoteA new Washington Post/ABC News poll this week showed a majority of Republican-leaning Americans — 52 percent — said Santorum should stay in the campaign, while 43 percent said he should drop out.

I mean, he was still neck-and-neck with Romney in PA, I think Rick could've won it and a few more states as well.

DGuller

Maybe his daughter's health had something to do with it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on April 10, 2012, 05:03:45 PM
Shit, I hadn't considered that.  It seems quite possible - it's odd timing otherwise and she was just hospitalised again :(
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2012, 05:01:23 PM
Yeah.

What I thought was interesting:

QuoteA new Washington Post/ABC News poll this week showed a majority of Republican-leaning Americans — 52 percent — said Santorum should stay in the campaign, while 43 percent said he should drop out.

I mean, he was still neck-and-neck with Romney in PA, I think Rick could've won it and a few more states as well.

He was losing ground in PA and one recent poll had Romney way ahead.  Losing PA in spectacular fashion might've been more than he wanted to bear.  Plus he could've been running out of cash.  His daughter being sick could've been the straw that broke the camel's back.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 10, 2012, 05:04:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 10, 2012, 05:03:45 PM
Shit, I hadn't considered that.  It seems quite possible - it's odd timing otherwise and she was just hospitalised again :(

She's fine.  Well, maybe not fine but left the hospital last night.

Jacob

What's wrong with Santorum's daughter?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on April 10, 2012, 05:08:00 PM
What's wrong with Santorum's daughter?

Has a genetic disorder, Trisomy 18;  came down with a bout of pneumonia over the weekend apparently.

CountDeMoney

Gotta love the Readers' Comments:

QuotePraise to Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

Our children and family come first

God Bless Rick Santorum and his family and the majority of American Citizens.

We need his kind of people to stand up for the truth.

America was founded with the truth

Jesus Christ is the Way the Truth and the Life

Ah, yes.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2012, 05:07:32 PM
She's fine.  Well, maybe not fine but left the hospital last night.
Yes, but she's a Santorum baby.  Her going home from the hospital isn't as reliable a sign of good health as it normally is.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2012, 05:06:51 PM
He was losing ground in PA and one recent poll had Romney way ahead.  Losing PA in spectacular fashion might've been more than he wanted to bear.  Plus he could've been running out of cash.  His daughter being sick could've been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Well, I still there there's a not insignificant number of Republicans that will be pissed they won't be able to vote for him in the coming primaries.  There's still a lot of important states left.  He should've hung in there, if only to continue the War On Teh Wimmin.

fhdz

Quote from: grumbler on April 06, 2012, 06:32:17 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 06, 2012, 04:04:13 PM
In all seriousness, I think that while partisanship is as old as the hills there's a relatively new beast running around which involves an inability to compromise. I run into far more people today than I used to who seem to think "if this person/NGO/what-have-you does not agree with me on every single political issue, I cannot support them". The inability to look at something pragmatically has greatly worsened partisan rhetoric and voting patterns, IMO.

I agree with this, but don't think the "culture war" is to blame.  I think his has to do with a crisis mentality.  What we are seeing now is a pale comparison of the FDR era but, I think, has many of the same features:  many people just don't that there is room for error, and so not-quite-right = wrong for them.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much dead-on. What seems new about it is the quantity of vitriol (enhanced, I am sure, by social media) and what feels like an enormous drop in respect for the office of the President. Having grown up in the 70s and 80s and having a memory of the often grudging respect political opponents tended to give one another, even with the spectre of Nixon about, the way people talk about and have treated Clinton, Bush, and Obama has been deplorable.
and the horse you rode in on