News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I'm semi-intrigued, 'koot.  Do you think my views are devoid of principles, or are they just principles you don't like?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 02:22:02 PM
Derspeiss is demonstrating the big problem with Libertarianism and why it will never get off the ground (at least in the US).  It's inherently selfish.

:huh:

It has gotten off the ground big time in the US, and that is its major selling point. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 09, 2012, 08:58:29 PM
Derspeiss is demonstrating the big problem with Libertarianism and why it will never get off the ground (at least in the US).  It's inherently selfish.

:huh:

It has gotten off the ground big time in the US, and that is its major selling point. :contract:

Big time? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Pffft, there's a strong strain of libertarianism in the Republican party and a strain of civil libertarianism in the Democratic party.

The thing that separates the big L Libertarian party from those two isn't selfishness, it's the lack of pragmatism.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

One guy may be concerned about gun rights but not care if the guy in the state over gets arrested for smoking dope.  Hell, he might even support it.  So one party picks up the the pot head and the other picks up the gun nut.  Their power is thus divided because neither is sympathetic to the others plight.  They are only concerned with themselves.

Not much money in liberty.  Strange one would support it out of crass self interest.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 09, 2012, 09:06:43 PM
Pffft, there's a strong strain of libertarianism in the Republican party and a strain of civil libertarianism in the Democratic party.

The thing that separates the big L Libertarian party from those two isn't selfishness, it's the lack of pragmatism.

Same thing.  The libertarianism in both parties is very much a one way street.  The Civil Libertarians in the Democratic party are fond of the nanny state and the libertarians in the GOP aren't interested in helping people who don't look like them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2012, 09:14:59 PM
One guy may be concerned about gun rights but not care if the guy in the state over gets arrested for smoking dope.  Hell, he might even support it.  So one party picks up the the pot head and the other picks up the gun nut.  Their power is thus divided because neither is sympathetic to the others plight.  They are only concerned with themselves.

Not much money in liberty.  Strange one would support it out of crass self interest.

Ron Paul does pretty good.  He talks about ending the Fed and is heavily invested in Gold Mining.  Funny that.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 09, 2012, 09:06:43 PM

That's actually quite well-put.  :hug:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on April 09, 2012, 08:29:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2012, 07:51:29 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 09, 2012, 07:33:35 PMWhich is fine, you are in good company. Very few people actually even understand the concept of a principle, much less allow them to get in the way of their cherished allegiances.

Not to derail your fruitful line of discussion with derspiess, but who on languish do you think hold some semblance of principles?

grumbler, you, CC, Marty (in certains contexts, not at all in others), Yi, garbon, Shelf, Oex. I am sure there are plenty I am missing, so if I didn't mention you that doesn't really mean much.
Did you forget Strix?

Razgovory

I think it's cute when Berkut gets this way.  Talking about tribes and such.  He mistakes his opinion for irrefutable facts, and gets mad when our biases cause us not to agree with these "Facts".

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 10:09:37 PM
I think it's cute when Berkut gets this way.  Talking about tribes and such.  He mistakes his opinion for irrefutable facts, and gets mad when our biases cause us not to agree with these "Facts".

Don't be sad that you didn't make the list. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2012, 08:35:37 PM
I'm semi-intrigued, 'koot.  Do you think my views are devoid of principles, or are they just principles you don't like?

I don't know about your views in general - I do know that there is no way anyone could claim to hold to any kind of traditional conservative principles and yet still be even ambivalent about something like mandatory ultrasounds for women. That is such a fundamental violation of basic human liberty that it cannot possibly be consistently supported on any kind of principle that gives even lip service to respect for human liberty.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on April 09, 2012, 10:06:56 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 09, 2012, 08:29:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2012, 07:51:29 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 09, 2012, 07:33:35 PMWhich is fine, you are in good company. Very few people actually even understand the concept of a principle, much less allow them to get in the way of their cherished allegiances.

Not to derail your fruitful line of discussion with derspiess, but who on languish do you think hold some semblance of principles?

grumbler, you, CC, Marty (in certains contexts, not at all in others), Yi, garbon, Shelf, Oex. I am sure there are plenty I am missing, so if I didn't mention you that doesn't really mean much.
Did you forget Strix?

I certainly try to.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 10, 2012, 01:34:26 AM
I don't know about your views in general - I do know that there is no way anyone could claim to hold to any kind of traditional conservative principles and yet still be even ambivalent about something like mandatory ultrasounds for women. That is such a fundamental violation of basic human liberty that it cannot possibly be consistently supported on any kind of principle that gives even lip service to respect for human liberty.

Even someone who doesn't support the basic (original) conservative value of liberty should reject the proposition that unnecessary ultrasound procedures for no announced purpose was a wise policy for governments to introduce.  Besides the costs to the individual involved (a liberty issue), there are the costs to government and society:  the taxpayers will pick up the costs for a lot of these ultrasound procedures, plus the costs of enforcement, and will forgo whatever government services are abandoned to free up resources to track which women seeking abortions have, and have not, actually completed the requirement.  Fiscal conservatives like to talk cost-benefit (I certainly do), and yet this law proposes to impose significant costs for absolutely zero gain.  No matter where in the country such a thing was proposed, it seems to me impossible for an actual conservative (other than a social-engineer-"conservative") to not scoff at the 'wisdom" of such a law.

The claim of indifference to this law on the basis of "it doesn't affect me" seems so feeble and transparently disingenuous coming from a person who supports laws banning abortion, even though such a law would not affect him, his being unable to get pregnant, let alone get an abortion.  The "principal" at work here seems to be "I don't want to try to defend a law that I support even though I know it is absurd."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!