News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP Primary Megathread!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

I suspect, from what I know of you, that you consider yourself a good citizen and are loyal to your country.

I also suspect that you value liberty.

I am curious, then, how you reconcile those values with your claimed disregard for the liberty of your fellow citizens.

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on April 09, 2012, 04:20:14 PM
I suspect, from what I know of you, that you consider yourself a good citizen and are loyal to your country.

I am curious, then, how you reconcile those values with your claimed disregard for the liberty of your fellow citizens.

I don't disregard the liberty of my fellow citizens.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

So it's over, you guys have finally chosen the guy who you want to lose to Obama.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2012, 04:25:09 PM

So you do care about laws that don't affect you but affect your fellow citizens?

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on April 09, 2012, 04:29:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2012, 04:25:09 PM

So you do care about laws that don't affect you but affect your fellow citizens?

Sure, some of them.  Don't have the time nor the attention span to worry about all of them.  Is there a point to your line of questioning, counselor?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2012, 04:34:15 PM
Sure, some of them.  Don't have the time nor the attention span to worry about all of them.  Is there a point to your line of questioning, counselor?

You seemed to be saying that you didn't care about laws that affect people in another state because they don't affect you. That seemed bizarre, so I was try to find out if it was indeed the case.

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on April 09, 2012, 04:38:54 PM
You seemed to be saying that you didn't care about laws that affect people in another state because they don't affect you. That seemed bizarre, so I was try to find out if it was indeed the case.

Well, I'll clue you in on something.  There is a lot going on in places far (or relatively far) from me that I don't care about.  Laws get passed in California that I probably wouldn't agree with.  Am I supposed to get all worked up about them as well?

Now if the ultrasound thing were legislation here in Ohio I'd probably give it some thought, read up on it, and form an opinion.  I might email my state senator/representative to voice my opinion on the matter.  And depending on how they vote, I'd factor that in to whether I vote for them in the next election or primary.

Or if this were such a grave issue in Virginia, where women were being pulled over at random & systematically beaten by the state, I'd probably care.  But a situation where women in some other state having an abortion might be being inconvenienced by an additional preliminary procedure doesn't register too high on my "Give A Shit" meter. 

It's possible I could oppose such a law in Ohio.  Or I suppose it's possible I could even support such a law.  But unless that comes to pass, I'll remain ambivalent.  Frankly, the reaction I'm getting from you guys here makes me even more determined not to hold an opinion :D

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2012, 04:52:44 PM
  Frankly, the reaction I'm getting from you guys here makes me even more determined not to hold an opinion :D

Yeah, I can certainly see that coming through...which of course makes me that much more convinced you don't hold many (any?) opinions based on actual principle really.

Which is fine, you are in good company. Very few people actually even understand the concept of a principle, much less allow them to get in the way of their cherished allegiances.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on April 09, 2012, 07:33:35 PMWhich is fine, you are in good company. Very few people actually even understand the concept of a principle, much less allow them to get in the way of their cherished allegiances.

Not to derail your fruitful line of discussion with derspiess, but who on languish do you think hold some semblance of principles?

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on April 09, 2012, 07:33:35 PM
  Frankly, the reaction I'm getting from you guys here makes me even more determined not to hold an opinion :D

Yeah, I can certainly see that coming through...which of course makes me that much more convinced you don't hold many (any?) opinions based on actual principle really.

Which is fine, you are in good company. Very few people actually even understand the concept of a principle, much less allow them to get in the way of their cherished allegiances.

Well, I guess we're extra lucky to have you here in all your principled self-righteousness.

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2012, 07:51:29 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 09, 2012, 07:33:35 PMWhich is fine, you are in good company. Very few people actually even understand the concept of a principle, much less allow them to get in the way of their cherished allegiances.

Not to derail your fruitful line of discussion with derspiess, but who on languish do you think hold some semblance of principles?

:mad:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

What are principles but signs of weakness?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2012, 07:51:29 PM

grumbler, you, CC, Marty (in certains contexts, not at all in others), Yi, garbon, Shelf, Oex. I am sure there are plenty I am missing, so if I didn't mention you that doesn't really mean much.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2012, 08:14:51 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 09, 2012, 07:33:35 PM

Well, I guess we're extra lucky to have you here in all your principled self-righteousness.

We aren't talking about me though.

0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2012, 08:25:07 PM
What are principles but signs of weakness?

He's talking about cowardice.  He revels in it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017